Intellichem Water Chemistry Controller Message

Hello, I'm getting a "No Flow Detected, Check Pump, Flow Cell, Filter, and Valves" alarm message on my screen. I think I've narrowed the problem down to the flow cell because when the system starts the magnet is up floating near the top and everything works fine. Sometimes the system works for hours before the magnet floats to the bottom, other days the system only works for minutes. I'm assuming something is happening with the amount of water being pushed through it and causing the message.

I think all of my valves are positioned properly because the PSI on my gauges is still in the same range as when my pool was installed 6 months ago. The pump is working fine (I'm currently running my pump at 3000 RPM's for 8 hrs/day), and I cleaned out my filter yesterday.

In the Intellichem Water Chemistry Controller Manuel for trouble shooting alarm messages it says, "Ensure the pool pump is turned on, that valves are properly positioned, and that sufficient water is being directed to the flow cell. Make sure the magnet is properly contained in the flow tube and that the detector is wired properly to the Flow switch terminal block. The flow switch should be closed (shorted) to indicate flow."

My questions are as follows:

1) How can i check to see if sufficent water is being directed to the flow cell?
2) How do I check the flow switch and ensure that it is "closed/shorted" to indicate flow?
3) Can I just unscrew the flow tube (with the power off of course) and take a look or will that mess it up?

Or maybe it's none of that and I'm missing something. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks in advance for your input.

Sorry, I think I did something wrong while trying to save pool specs in the signature section. Here they are:

10,000 gallons / In ground / Salt Pool / Intellichem Water Chemistry Controller / Intellichlor Cholrine Genterator / Sta Rite Intellipro Variable Speed Pump / Sta Rite Max E Therm Pool Heater / PCC 2000 System / SwimMaster Plus Solar Pool Heater

Where do you have the inlet and outlet plumbed into your system?

You haven't had any issues up until now?

Are you getting the green flow light on the SWG?

Did you change pump speeds at all? Is this message consistent at all speeds?

Brian, Thanks so much for getting back to me. Let me address each question you posed:

1) Being a newbie I'm not quite sure where to look for the inlet and outlet plumbed into my system.

2) I have had zero issues with that alert message up until a week ago. I thought I just had a dirty filter and would clean it when I got the chance and everything would go back to normal (that didn't work).

3) I do have all green lights on the SWG.

4) I just adjusted the pump speeds up 200 RPM's to 3200 RPM's but that did not work. My Max setting is at 3450. Do you think I should try that high?

I did turn on my water fall feature today (once everything was already running) and that seemed to start the flow again but as soon as I turned the waterfall off the No Flow Message came back.

Can you post some pictures of the equipment pad?

That pump speed is way higher than needed. You shouldn't have any flow issues down around 2,000 RPM if plumbed Pentair's way, 1000 RPM if plumbed through the pump basket.

Brian, Sorry for the delay in posting this picture. I've been out of town. How can I tell if it was plumbed through the pump basket or not?

Pool Equipment.jpg

Let me know if you need a different picture. My side yard is small and makes it difficult to take a panoramic picture of my pad. TIA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No sorry, that doesn't show it. The flow cell has 2 tubes that connect to your plumbing somewhere. One is an inlet, the other is a return. The flow cell senses water flow and allows the system to operate when the pump is running.

Pentair's recommended method of installation for these tubes is a little odd in that they rely on the pressure differential from the filter to create the flow. The problem with this is that the flow cell can't detect a flow at low pump speeds. This is likely how yours was installed.

You can change the location of the return line to the pump basket and that should solve your issue

You can do it easily. Probably the most difficult part is plugging the existing hole in the plumbing

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at this post. He chose to route it to the actual suction plumbing, but the drain on the pump basket can be used just as easily...

I'd suggest the inlet to the flow cell be plumbed in the piping after the filter and the return sent to the pump basket so there is no chance of debris being sent to the flow cell. Only filtered water would be sent to the cell...

You can do it easily. Probably the most difficult part is plugging the existing hole in the plumbing

- - - Updated - - -

Take a look at this post. He chose to route it to the actual suction plumbing, but the drain on the pump basket can be used just as easily...

I'd suggest the inlet to the flow cell be plumbed in the piping after the filter and the return sent to the pump basket so there is no chance of debris being sent to the flow cell. Only filtered water would be sent to the cell...

@BDavis466: Forgive me for reviving this old thread, but I'm interested in your idea of plumbing the IntelliChem flow-cell return to the pump basket... Do you mean remove the threaded drain plug from the pump basket and somehow install the flow-cell return there?

I love the idea of that, but I'm missing the flick of how one would get that little 3/8" washered nozzle to fit where that threaded drain plug now sits. Are there alternate fittings that can be used?

Thanks,
Todd

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.