Pentiar Intellichlor IC40

Mar 15, 2016
Fort Mill/SC
I would like to convert my pool to SWG. I estimate it to be about 12-15k, is the IC20 enough or should I go with the IC40? Also is this on any level a DIY? Pol guy quoted me $1700 for the IC40 and installation, I think I can get it much cheaper myself and was hoping to save money installing myself.

An IC-40 would be better.

It's a DIY project BUT if you self install, Pentair will not give you the full 1-yr warranty, only a 60-day warranty. Sometimes you can do the install and have an electrician friend sign off on it (usually requires a paid invoice as proof or professional installation) but that's not so easy to come by.

1700 is quite a lot... I just bought an Easy touch with built in power for the IC40 + the cell + valve controllers + an intelletouch wireless control kit for $2000.00 shipped

No affiliation but Pentair EasyTouch 8SC-IC40 Pool and Spa Control with IC40 Cell
Here is the IC40 and power supply alone for 840.00 Pentair IntelliChlor IC40 Salt Chlorination System (Complete)
Their shipping was pretty fast too!

You can get the 4 relay version even cheaper if you only need 4

I am in the middle of a DIY easytouch install... it is obviously more involved than just the IC40 but its actually going pretty well.

My PB wanted $1,700 to install as well. I purchased a IC40 online for about $800 and with $40 in PVC parts and flexible conduit (power generator) I did it myself. it works great. If you have a heater, make sure to install a check valve between the heater and SWG. I have a EasyTouch and just wired it to my Pentair VS relay so it only comes on when pump does.

It is so high concentrated chlorine does not go backwards into the heater when the pump is shut off.. I have my SWG automated so it shuts off 5 minutes before my pump :)

One way to consider it is... using 15,000 gallons, and the SWG at 100% output, and to get 3 PPM FC replacement... the IC20 would need 13 hours, the IC40 6.5 hours, and the IC60 4.5 hours.

For me, the SWG size decision was related to my plan for pump run-time, which would rule out the IC20, plus... ya can always turn 'em down but max is max.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.