Noisy sand filter

Apr 7, 2016
Derby, KS
I am currently running a Hayward pro series S244-t sand filter (multi-port on top) with a pentair superflo 1.5 HP pump. When I am running the system on filter, I notice a sound in the filter like there is air being churned around. My pump is not sucking air, the strainer pot is clear without air bubbles and my pressure gauge is reading 19 PSI. I've noticed when i shut one of my two return lines (doesn't matter which one) the noise goes away. I switched out my jet eyes with a smaller diameter (from one to half inch) and the noise goes away as well but my pressure spikes to 26 PSI. That seems a bit high for my liking. Is this noise normal operation for these filters? Since its a top mount, I don't have a relief valve to purge with but have run the filter in backwash and rinse in order to try to clear out any air. I do have a booster pump attached to the system as well but when not in use, I have the valve on the intake side shut (its getting old and leaking working on replacing it). Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or even information on this? I greatly appreciate it!

Welcome, I think you are probably hearing sand moving around, it may be air but as long as its not shooting sand in your pool you should be good.. also the lower the pressure the better you system is working.

Have you done a deep clean? I think this will help you very much Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the tip. To me, it sounds like more than just sand but I suppose it could be. The sound is coming more from the multi port switch than the filter itself. I haven't had a chance to open it up to give t a deep clean but may have to make time for it. I just want to make sure I'm not going to wreck the system because I ignored something I shouldn't have. The sound is more annoying than anything I suppose. I did try to set the filter to recirculate to see if the noise would continue. It quieted down but you could tell the noise was still there, just not as loud.

Thanks again!

Welcome to TFP bmtrimp :wave:

I agree on sticking with the larger return eyeballs. Easier on the system and likely better circulation and filtering.
Sounds are a hard thing to figure out. If you have anyway of recording and posting a short video that would be very helpful.

You might want to take the multiport valve apart and just check on the spider gasket too since you say the noise might be in that area. Or see if something got stuck in there that shouldn't be.
Shows the basics for getting it apart. - - > https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiUrKCEgP7LAhVHl4MKHRbzAIsQtwIIKzAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhYGjjBZFF_s&usg=AFQjCNEfFrUaI0JkbkuxK6c6IYww7_hFeg&bvm=bv.119028448,d.amc

Could be pump cavitation..... possibly because there is not enough back pressure on the return side.

Since you have a multi-port valve, it should have a "Recirc" position on it. If so, place in "Recirc" (which bypasses the filter) and turn the pump on. Let us know if you still hear the sound or if it increases/decreases.

Could be pump cavitation..... possibly because there is not enough back pressure on the return side.

Since you have a multi-port valve, it should have a "Recirc" position on it. If so, place in "Recirc" (which bypasses the filter) and turn the pump on. Let us know if you still hear the sound or if it increases/decreases.

I did try it in recirculate, the noise decreased but did not go away.

Do you know how much sand is in the filter?

What size pump are you using.....up rated or full rated?

I am currently running a Hayward pro series S244-t sand filter (multi-port on top) with a pentair superflo 1.5 HP pump. It says to have 300 pounds of sand in the filter. I just purchased the house with the pool so i don't have a way to verify that it was filled correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the original eyeballs installed, can you turn down the flow - just slightly - to one or both to minimize the sound? Or maybe put one newer eyeball in - where you need the most push for circulation - and see if the sound decreases.

A picture of your equipment pad (from a few different angles - might help and allow more suggestions. You can use Photobucket to upload pictures and then use the IMG link there to post the images here.

With the original eyeballs installed, can you turn down the flow - just slightly - to one or both to minimize the sound? Or maybe put one newer eyeball in - where you need the most push for circulation - and see if the sound decreases.

A picture of your equipment pad (from a few different angles - might help and allow more suggestions. You can use Photobucket to upload pictures and then use the IMG link there to post the images here.

Here is my setup. 1.5 inch pipes, two jets, one skimmer, main drain. s244-t filter, superflo 1.5 HP pump. This is a picture from when I purchased the home before i opened the pool. I have my booster pump closed but all other valves are open.

ISd87vv6f44ayd1000000000.jpg
Also link: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Well, it looks like your filter is hard plumbed with no unions so you cannot casually take off the multi port and check the sand level......that stinks.

Since the sound is coming from the multiport, why not disassemble it and look at the spider gasket? That's a common source of problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.