Solar reel & Cover challenges

jlhaz

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2007
Hello!

I just brought a solar reel. I've had a solar blanket for sometime, but just kept it tucked away in the yard since it was such a pain to put on.

I'm not sure if I attached it to the reel correctly, as it is VERY difficult to roll on. Am I supposed to cut the cover to fit on top of the pool and then leave the whole length on the end attaching to the reel intact? Maybe this is where I made my mistake since I "tapered" the cover on the end while cutting it to fit.

I'm actually considereing returning the reel getting rid of the cover - just a little frustrated :)

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks!

Cut the cover to fit so it lays on the water over the whole pool. If the pool is rectangular, you can put the straps at either end. If the pool is irregular, oval, kidney or grecian, you'll have to put the straps on towards the middle. The key is that the straps all tighten at the same time so the cover lifts up smoothly.

JohnT said:
Cut the cover to fit so it lays on the water over the whole pool. If the pool is rectangular, you can put the straps at either end. If the pool is irregular, oval, kidney or grecian, you'll have to put the straps on towards the middle. The key is that the straps all tighten at the same time so the cover lifts up smoothly.

When you say put the straps on toward the middle, do you mean toward the middle of the cover?

So it sounds like I cut it wrong...the pool is oval shaped and has a cutout for a seat. so I cut the cover so it lays on the water, but it sounds like on the end where it attaches to the reel, I shouldn't have cut it to fit the oval curve on that end?.

Thanks!

jlhaz said:
When you say put the straps on toward the middle, do you mean toward the middle of the cover?

So it sounds like I cut it wrong...the pool is oval shaped and has a cutout for a seat. so I cut the cover so it lays on the water, but it sounds like on the end where it attaches to the reel, I shouldn't have cut it to fit the oval curve on that end?.

Thanks!

No, you cut it just as you would with no reel. It's best to attach the straps to the cover where the pool is full width so the pull is even.

OK I think I understand...it definitely sounds like I cut it wrong. If I can describe it correctly, the reel is attaching to the cover on the end, the end where it curves. I cut the cover from the wide end, eventually narrowing to the curved in. I was only able to attach about 6 clips to that end because of the width of the cut cover.

It sounds like what I need to do is to partially cut the cover to fit the rest of the pool, and then at the end that will attach to the solar reel, keep it full width so it will attach correctly?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.