Pump Died

Mar 15, 2016
Fort Mill/SC
Fairly new pool owner:

Pump died a few days ago, had a pool guy come out, said motor is dead (I suspected this powers on as soon as it primes it fails again) Wants $550 to fix the old pump or $500 to install the pump I was looking at (Pentair 342001). I was considering doing it myself prior to this conversation, now I'm most certainly wanting do it myself. On a scale of replacing a light bulb (1) to installing a dishwasher (6), where does this fall? I'm also going to be converting it to a SWG and was thinking of doing that myself as well. Also considering that the Pentair 342001 may be overkill and just need a 2 speed pump.

Thoughts?

2010 In Ground ~ 12-15,000 Gallon estimated
~3 ft shallow ~ 6 ft deep ~38 ft x 17 ft Freeform shape Pebbletec Finish
2 Drains, 2 Skimmers, Sidewall Vacuum (Not in Use)
Dolphin Oasis Z5 - PHPF1.0 Pump - Jandy CV340 Filter
Fort Mill, SC

Last edited:
I can't speak to Pentair model specifics, but if you have even the modest of DIY skills, you can do it yourself. If you're going to replace the entire pump (wet & dry end), then your biggest concerns will be connecting the electrical leads and some PVC work. You even have the option of possibly replacing just your existing motor (only) if the wet-end is still in good condition, but that's totally up to you. Either way, if you can wrestle your dishwasher to the ground, you can handle this.

"+ is positive, - is negative." Glue here and there, slap together ...... :cheers:. You can do it!

I can't speak to Pentair model specifics, but if you have even the modest of DIY skills, you can do it yourself. If you're going to replace the entire pump (wet & dry end), then your biggest concerns will be connecting the electrical leads and some PVC work. You even have the option of possibly replacing just your existing motor (only) if the wet-end is still in good condition, but that's totally up to you. Either way, if you can wrestle your dishwasher to the ground, you can handle this.

"+ is positive, - is negative." Glue here and there, slap together ...... :cheers:. You can do it!

That's great news, would you say the VS pump is worth it for a SWG pool that's only 12000 gallons? or would you recommend just getting a 2 speed?

I'm going to :bump: that question for another expert as the variables to whether or not making the leap from a 2-speed to a VSP are worth it. Some pros and cons either way. We'll get you an answer shortly though based on your pool equipment and specific needs.

While hashing out your replacement pump options, don't forget to circulate your water still as you add liquid bleach. Either brush or with a sump pump set on the stairs and redirecting the hose back into the pool. You don't want to risk algae taking up shop while you are without a pump, capisce? :)

While hashing out your replacement pump options, don't forget to circulate your water still as you add liquid bleach. Either brush or with a sump pump set on the stairs and redirecting the hose back into the pool. You don't want to risk algae taking up shop while you are without a pump, capisce? :)

Will definitely keep that in mind. Fortunately the weather has decided to not cooperate with Spring and it's getting down in the 40s and this weekend the 30s. So it shouldn't be terribly difficult to keep the algae from misbehaving :)

The benefit of being able to dial in the right speed for the right situations is worth it to me. My SWG gave me a low flow error on the lowest speed, 750 rpm and I kept bumping it up until it worked without ever giving me an error, 1100 rpm. My pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm and it skims, makes chlorine and filters at that speed. 150 watts at 10.25c/kWh costs me less than 6 bucks a month to run my pump 12 hours a day.

With a relatively simple pool a two speed pump should suffice. I have a variable, but that's because I have infloor cleaning, solar heat, a spa, and a SWG. That means a I need several speed and flow options to operate everything efficiently. Your needs will be filtration/running a SWG (which should be ok at a low speed), and cleaning/vacuuming the pool (which will require the higher speed). Instead of buying a whole new pump, you could just replace the motor with a two speed motor and add a switch to select the speed.

I'll let others advise you on the details since I haven't done that myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.