Raising the CYA up with Trichlor pucks

sgt173

Feb 10, 2015
Parrish,FL
I was wondering about how many of these Trichlor pucks that was left behind by the last owners should I put in the dispenser to get my CYA back up to about the 30 to 40 range ? Right now the CYA is about 20-25. I was thinking maybe I should kick it up a little more.
When I first moved in here it was way over the 100 range. It took me over a year to get it down to that a little at a time. Since I went to the TFP method and got my own test kit now I only use 10% Bleach, MA and sometimes Baking soda and it always looks crystal clear.
Also,I want to thank you guys for showing me the way!!!

I always have a hard time answering "how much does a trichlor puck weigh" since I have never used one in my pool... They are usually between 6 and 8 ounces. They used to be a constant 8 ounces but then over the last few years, they've gone down to 7 ounces in many that I've seen.

Thanks Richard, So do you think I would be better off just getting some stabilizer and use that instead of the trichlor pucks? I just thought I would use up whats left behind before they went bad or maybe I should save them in case I have to go away for awhile. Pool math says 12-13 oz of stabilizer I just wasnt sure how much stabilizer is in one of them Thrichlor pucks, I'll wait a week or so and see what it reads I put 2 in to start. I think it takes awhile for it to give a good CYA reading level once you add it to the water.

As long as you keep them sealed in the bucket, trichlor pucks will keep for years. You don't have to use them up before they go bad.

Effects of Adding Chemicals says that 16 oz (2 pucks, more or less) will raise the CYA in a 6100 gallon pool by 11. By comparison, to raise CYA alone by 20 requires 1 lb of CYA granules. Except CYA is sold in 4 or 5 lb canisters, so... I'd probably just use the pucks since I had them already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.