Wet Edge, not Pebble Tec

Olga

Mar 24, 2016
Phoenix
In trying to figure out why our 4 month old pool requires several hundred ounces of acid every couple of days to maintain its pH, we asked the pool builder to check with Pebble Tec for any ideas how to make this acid demand manageable. We thought we had a Pebble Tec surface. When we continued to press for Pebble Tec involvement, the pool builder informed us that we do not have Pebble Tec but rather Wet Edge.

Does that matter? Are they the same?

Sometime in the past, some Pebble Tec folks left their employer and started Wet Edge Technologies. At the most fundamental levels, comparable products from both suppliers are quite similar...although each one tends to brag that their unique sources of stones give prettier surfaces. My pool builder used to offer Pebble Tec but switched to Wet Edge when Wet Edge started offering substantially better (longer) warranties.

To answer your questions directly: Does it matter? No. Are they the same? Yes (in the context of your question). But these are the wrong questions to ask. Far and away, the most important facet of these products is how they are mixed & applied and how your pool is started up after application. There is much more variability between various pool builders and applicators than there is with the products themselves.

Agreed, they are basically the same from a water chemistry standpoint it is common to have rising PH in a newly plaster pool for the first year. Several hundred ounces is extreme.

What is your TA? Lowering it to 60-80 will help reduce PH rise.
What about waterfalls, bubblers, water features? Running those will aerate the water and cause PH to rise quickly. Running them less will reduce PH rise.
Lots of swimming also causes PH to rise for the same reason, but we don't recommend less swimming! :)

Yes, the Pentair dispenser which holds 4 gallons was filled with a 1:1 ratio of water/acid. When it ran down about a third I topped it off to the full mark with straight acid. It's nearly empty in three days. Yes, 7,000 gal pool.

What happens if you stop adding acid? Hold off a couple of days. Where does the ph go to? What is your TA?

What are you using to test for ph? What are you using to test for TA?

If I stop adding acid, the pH goes to 8 pretty quickly, less than a day. The pH is read by the Intellichem. I've tested with a Taylor test kit and the Intellichem reading was confirmed exactly. The local pool store matched all my Taylor results on all parameters, though I think they're using the Taylor kit as well.

TA 120
CH 150
CYA 27
ORP 685
Langlier -0.10 Ideal
Salt 3000
pH 7.4

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.