100% Pool Newbie and scared!

Apr 6, 2016
morgan hill/ca
Hi everyone,

I'm so happy to find this forum! I live in the San Francisco bay area where we should be able to use our pool a lot and we look forward to it.

We are brand new to owning a pool ourselves (had one as a kid but didn't do any of the work!) and all this equipment is scary! The house we bought came with an in ground pool, not all that big, with some fancy equipment we are told. Of course no instruction manuals were handed down and nobody showed us how to use these things!

So where do I start on this forum to learn first and foremost how to run the equipment so my pool sweep is cleaning up? I hear something, I think the pump, chugging away 24 hours a day but the sweep never moves. My pool is only sort of clean after the pool guy comes on Thursdays. We only pay for a pool guy because we need to learn how to maintain our pool before we let him go.

We also have a neat/convenient Compool Cp3600 remote panel inside our home. Again, have no clue how to program it. Why is the pump on 24/7? Am I paying the electric company a ton of money for this?

Anyway, I need to start somewhere and I'm looking forward to learning from you all. Please bear with me while I fumble through this and ask a lot of dumb questions!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Welcome to TTP and congrats on the new pool!

Step 1, get a good test kit. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Here is a guide to pool equipment
Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment

here is where to start with your water
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Yes, you are likely going to get a big bill for that pump running 24x7.

Take some pics of your pool and equipment. Upload them to photobucket, copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it in your post.

Most pool equipment manufacturers have owner/operator manuals available on their website to download. Here is the Compool manual, http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/cp3600OM.pdf

Welcome, I am glad you found us :) Take a cruise around the site and post some pictures and we will get you going.

HI! We are SO glad you found us! You are going to love your pool with TFP to help you!

How about starting a thread in "Just getting started" for your equipment. Take and share some pictures so we can get you started on learning it and how it all works. The links above will help you so much!

I will be on the look out for your new thread so I can help you get rid of the pool guy!

Kim