Cleaning Cartridge Filters after Restart

momtaps

Bronze Supporter
Oct 8, 2011
Kingwood, Texas
The heat pump on our pool has been leaking and the plumber has spent the last three weeks trying to locate the part needed to repair it. Because of this, our pool pump has been off for three weeks. Since I use the BBB method, I've been able to keep the pool relatively balanced, but am worried about the water that has been just sitting in the pipes, pumps, and cartridge filters. When I remove the filters for cleaning tomorrow, should I soak them in a bleach mixture, or will just running the pump with the chlorinated pool water through it be enough to kill everything that I suspect has been growing in there? I've raised the chlorine level to 21 (my shock #).

If the water was properly chlorinated when the pump died, there wouldn't have been anything in it to start growing. And algae doesn't grow in the dark anyway. I'd just turn it on and let it run. If the pressure is normal, you don't need to clean anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.