Mulch!! The good the bad the ugly.

Jul 7, 2014
Georgia
Anyone have mulch around there pool. Thinking about putting it around mine. Heard that it can attract and and the can eat kitten holes in your liner. What are yalls thought or experiences.

Edit.
Heard that it can attract ants and they can eat holes in the floor liner.

I have mulch in areas within 3-4 feet of my pool. It's fine except when we get a torrential rain. Then, if my pool isn't covered, it flows into the pool. However, when that happens, I scoop it out and have no significant FC demand. I also have heard that the dyed mulch can cause issues. What are kitten holes?

I've got about a 2 foot cypress mulch path all around my pool except where the deck goes down the length on one side. Going on 6 years now. I ain't dealing with grass on the pool wall.

What's wrong with drinkin and postin? We didn't even notice! LOL! We have some cedar mulch around the pool. They say cedar repels bugs. Which seems to be true because we have some giant ant hills around but none in the cedar mulch.

Well, how is your drainage (the likelihood of it entering your pool)? Get a sample if you can and set it in a jar of water and see what happens. I use "premium dark hardwood" and like I said, when it gets into the pool I don't have issues. Have another brew. I did.

Since you have an above ground pool the mulch is not as likely to be blown into the water, however people may track it in on their feet. You can treat the mulch to get rid of any ants you may have. If you like the look of much around the pool go for it! I started out with mulch around the base of my pool but eventually I put down some spare brick I had after tearing down a wall.

My husband dug a trench all the way around our pool and installed a French drain covered with gravel. Every spring I apply ant and weed granules to prevent problems. We have no drainage problems at all. The gravel doesn't have to be replaced like mulch does.

I used to have much, the kind made from ground up old tires and dyed red. I replaced it after one year with river pebbles because it wouldn't stay put.

WP_001074_zps626b92a4.jpg

No problems with the pebbles and they look better too IMO.

temporary_zps73437906.jpg

temporary_zps48a09dd5.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.