New "white" and unknown material building up on the pool wall.

trevorfl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
Hello all!

My pool CYA level last year was close to 120. Now it is close to 80.

I am happy because my pool for a week or so is very clear. The secret? Maybe because I am trying very hard to balance the water or because I decided to run the variable pump longer. And of course, all the reading from this forum. I learned a lot. Thank you. :)

At night I run the pump close to six hours (slow flow just for some minimal circulation). During the daytime is running at full power for 5 hours.

I noticed for the first time ever something “building” on the side of the tile pool that look like it is white and solid. It is hard to the touch and with my fingernail I manage to eliminate one. There two more.

I am really concern. I hope is not calcium.

My PH was close to 8 for a while. Maybe because the chlorine is on the high side.

Here is my data as of today with the Taylor k-2006C

FC 9

CC 0

PH 7.6

TA 90

CH 250

CYA 80

The water balance calculator that came with the test kit gave a result of 0.5 in case this is relevant.

What do you think is wrong with this picture. Maybe that “thing” (I don’t really know what it is) is building up because the PH was high for sometime?

What do you think about this?

thank you very much in advance!

If it is vertical, oops, make that horizontal, along the waterline tile then it is calcium. I had some of that about 3 years ago. Keep your CSI slightly negative, -0.1 to -0.2, and it will go away and stay away. Manage your PH first and TA second.

Enter your test results in Poolmath and it will give you a CSI score. You can tweak PH and TA and see what the number does. Be sure to enter your water temp, it makes a difference

More here
Pool School - Calcium Scaling

and here
Langelier and Calcite Saturation Indices (LSI and CSI)

Hello:

Thank all for responding to my message.

It is not at the waterline. It is like 2 ft down into the water. My pool does not have grout lines. I don't know the kind of pool we have. (I know, shame on me). Maybe concrete?

I will try to keep my CSI close to the recommended here.

I hope it is nothing that bad that I need to worry about the internal pipes or equipment. So far only two. What do you think my chemical readings? Are they ok or not. Slowly I am lowering the CYA level. Still working on that.

Thank you again and have a good day.

Trevor

IMG_1654_22.jpg

Ok, you need to know what type of pool you have because there are a few chemistry needs that differ between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster.

Are your tiles real or printed? What does the white surface feel like-super smooth or a little rough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, you need to know what type of pool you have because there are a few chemistry needs that differ between vinyl, fiberglass and plaster.

Are your tiles real or printed? What does the white surface feel like-super smooth or a little rough?

The top blue tiles you see on the picture are real. The white surface is just a little rough.

Thank you for replying.

Sounds like a plaster pool to me. You know sometimes these vinyl lined pools can look so realistic one never knows?

Your pool looks great. The birdcages are a wonder, I just wish they were more common elsewhere too.

Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool.

Sounds like a plaster pool to me. You know sometimes these vinyl lined pools can look so realistic one never knows?

Your pool looks great. The birdcages are a wonder, I just wish they were more common elsewhere too.

Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool.

Thank you. Last November the CYA was 120. I will do my best now. Rainy season in Florida is already here. I need to replace some of the water so the CYA will get better.

Thank you your help and opinion.

Have a good day

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.