Newby with black algae needs help with SLAM process and test results

skarim

Apr 6, 2016
corpus christi,tx
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new pool owner that is excited to find this resource. I have about a 30,000 gallon pool with a saltwater chlorine generator.

The water appears clear, but definitely has scattered small black spots that smear green on the bottom.

A couple of days ago, I just tried adding 6 lbs of shock without doing testing and did some brushing but am not sure how I should proceed from here. There are still some visible algae spots.

I just purchased a test kit and these were some of the results most recently after I tried shocking.

ph 7.8-8
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
CYA 0 (is this often seen, or is this a problem?) With my test kit, the reaction was completely clear.
TA 125

I have at home muriatic acid as well as 1 lb packs of 68% calcium hypochlorite.

I've been looking at the SLAM and algae pages, but was wondering how I should approach things now more carefully. Should I just try to correct the pH at this point, then try and shock again. Should I stop using the calcium hypochlorite and go to liquid bleach? Should I try to address the CYA of 0? What should my FC target be if CYA is 0?

Thanks

After reading up some more, I'm thinking of

i. buying some solid stabilizer and bring CYA up to 30 or so putting it in the filter baskets in socks.
ii. let it sit for about a week or so, and then adjust pH as necessary with the muriatic acid
iii. then brush and SLAM as suggested by the calculators with the calcium hypochlorite that I already have

does this seem reasonable?
Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new pool owner that is excited to find this resource. I have about a 30,000 gallon pool with a saltwater chlorine generator.

The water appears clear, but definitely has scattered small black spots that smear green on the bottom.

A couple of days ago, I just tried adding 6 lbs of shock without doing testing and did some brushing but am not sure how I should proceed from here. There are still some visible algae spots.

I just purchased a test kit and these were some of the results most recently after I tried shocking.

ph 7.8-8
FC 1.5
CC 0.5
CYA 0 (is this often seen, or is this a problem?) With my test kit, the reaction was completely clear.
TA 125

I have at home muriatic acid as well as 1 lb packs of 68% calcium hypochlorite.

I've been looking at the SLAM and algae pages, but was wondering how I should approach things now more carefully. Should I just try to correct the pH at this point, then try and shock again. Should I stop using the calcium hypochlorite and go to liquid bleach? Should I try to address the CYA of 0? What should my FC target be if CYA is 0?

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

Step 1
Add muriatic acid to lower your PH to 7.2

Step 2
Put 30 ppm CYA granules in a sock and hang it in front of a pool return, squeeze it a couple or more times a day to dissolve it quicker

Step 3
Start your SLAM right away, assume CYA level of 30 ppm and chlorinate accordingly, Chlorine CYA Chart

Follow the SLAM instructions, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

You can use cal-hypo IF you know what your CH level is and that adding CH to your pool is OK. Otherwise, use plain, generic, store brand concentrated 8.25% bleach. No scents, no splashless, no easy pour. I get mine at Kroger, anywhere is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.