Broke Redneck Fatboy Lazy Cheap (semi) Auto Chlorine Feeder

DontFillitin

Platinum Supporter
May 7, 2015
Birmingham/AL
For those who remember me, you know I like to cheap out. If there is a PoBoy way of doing something, I will find it! After the countless hours of squatting by the pool last year, painstakingly pouring the bleach (not too much, but as fast as possible to get it over with) I decided to find a way to make a chlorine feeder. My wife is tired of me bleaching my good clothes because I don't change before pouring bleach... I'm not sure how it compares to the ones that are sold on the market, but I know it is going to work just fine for me, plus this is less than $50 to make, and I'm poor!! I WOULD like to go larger, and may try to perfect my design later, but here is the first failed attempt, and the "rough draft".

First off, I bought this siphon mixer
Dramm 22625 Syphonject Siphon Mixer with External Check Valve 3D Print Town

I tried to use it by rigging it up on a 5 gallon chemical bucket from our detail shop. Looking back on it, I probably could have made it work. I took it all apart because I didn't know what the issue was. I think my water pressure is a little too low for the siphon mixer to work on its own. If there is ANY resistance on the exit side, it will not siphon, so using a spray nozzle to mist it around the pool will not work. Some photos of this setup.

7525e63a-f142-47ce-a43d-185c8ecb81ef.jpg461dfa86-0c12-4b7c-b766-e1f4a9493363.jpg0329b000-3601-4055-83f4-c706b1c7ec32.jpgd8b891c5-0485-42db-bbc5-9e57bfae4c68.jpg

I knew at least part of my issue was the lack of pressure to work the siphon, so I started kicking ideas around. I went to Harbor Freight and got a 2 gallon pump sprayer (going back for a 4 gallon later) and went to work. I took the pressure release valve off, and plumbed a feed line the same size as the outlet line, and it works like a charm. I ran 4 or 5 gallons of water through it to test, and then (my kids are still mad) I used a pack of kool aid, so I could see how long it takes for the tank to change from chemical to water. I have also played with water volume, and during SLAM, I'm going to try to set it to run low volume and hope to make it keep the FC in range while I am at work, without overfilling the pool. I have timed it quite a bit, and for my particular setup and water flow, I THINK I may have it close already. I hope to put it to the true test this weekend!

Attachments

• 7b5e022e-6966-4250-87b1-e9658cc84c53.jpg
    7b5e022e-6966-4250-87b1-e9658cc84c53.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 211
Nothing wrong with a good Poboy at all!!! Just make sure to replace the kids kool aid!!!

That is something else! I will have my hubby look it over and see what he thinks LOL "BUT honey...........he did it!" LOL

Kim

BTW, not sure if anyone really cares, but this little deal has worked out great for me so far. With my back issues, crouching over the pool isn't so good for me. I can't afford a "true" chlorinator, and this thing has proven itself to be useful in so many ways. I have ALMOST perfected it. I can make it run a gallon of bleach in about 5 minutes, or I can lower the water volume, and make it take about 2 hours. I LOVE IT

I have an idea that may help you out. I bought a leaf eater last year, but have not used it yet. My pool is actually over full with all the rain we have had, and running the leaf eater with the garden hose wastes so much water and then you have to balance the chemicals again. I tried to rig up a way to hook it up to my return but failed. Then it occured to me that I have seen dozens of members who have a hose bib plumbed into their pipes before the filter. I bought a T and a hose bib, and when I get a chance I am going to add it to the pipe between my pump and filter and use it to power the leaf eater. If you have enough space in your plumbing you may be able to hook up your chlorine dispenser the same way.

I have an idea that may help you out. I bought a leaf eater last year, but have not used it yet. My pool is actually over full with all the rain we have had, and running the leaf eater with the garden hose wastes so much water and then you have to balance the chemicals again. I tried to rig up a way to hook it up to my return but failed. Then it occured to me that I have seen dozens of members who have a hose bib plumbed into their pipes before the filter. I bought a T and a hose bib, and when I get a chance I am going to add it to the pipe between my pump and filter and use it to power the leaf eater. If you have enough space in your plumbing you may be able to hook up your chlorine dispenser the same way.

OOOOHHH!!! I LIKE it! So far it hasn't been an issue as far as too much water, because I only have to run about 15 gallons through to get a full gallon of bleach, and most days it is more like 1/2 gallon that needs to be added. I still like the idea of having it in the plumbing though! I may improvise this solution, and can run my leaf eater the same way as well! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.