Advice please...am I buying the right equipment?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Hi, I'm new to the forum and my wife and I recently bought a house with a 15k gallon gunite saltwater pool. It is concrete and has tiles along the top edge where the water line is. I had a pool guy come over and give me the "pool school" rundown of how everything works, what equipment I need to clean and balance it, etc. He said I will need a METAL brush to brush the tile, so I'm assuming he means I will need one with STAINLESS STEEL bristles? Is that safe for the tile in regards to cosmetic appearance, etc?

Also, he didn't mention on the list of things to get, a NYLON bristled brush. Do I need a nylon brush too to scrub the WALLS of the pool below the tile? Or can I just use the stainless steel brush also for that? Not sure if the stainless steel brush would harm then concrete/plaster.

Lastly, he gave me the below list in order of how I should clean my pool once a week, does it look correct?

1. Skim entire top of pool real good with net and empty skimmer basket
2. Brush tile with metal brush all the way around
3. Vacuum all bottom surfaces
4. Empty pump basket and spa basket
5. Backwash
6. Scrub walls of pool (not sure what brush I should use here, nylon or stainless?)

I asked him why would I scrub the walls last and he mentioned something like "bc you're pool filter will take care of that and you won't be able to see what you are vauuming"....is this correct? It does make sense to me though.

Welcome and congrats on your new friend/pool..

The brush depends on the tile, if it is glass tile you don't want to use the metal/poly brush.. if not glass you can use the metal/poly brush on your whole pool.

The number 1 first thing we recommend is a great test kit so you don't get pool stored, I love my TF100 but you can also get the Taylor K-2006C Once you have that you will be able to take care of your pool and it will look a 1000% better than it does now.

1. if needed
2. 2 and 6 can be done at the same time
3. only if needed
4. check daily and empty when needed
5. backwash at 25% above normal pressure (what does that mean) After a backwash and you go back to filter look at the pressure, EI: 10 psi you would backwash at 12 to 13 psi

Check out pool school and the other links in my sig below :)

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

I have always used a nylon brush for my pool and tile. I have a bottom drain, I put all the suction to the drain and brush the pool to the drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.