CYA about 200, need help on draining pool

Gex

Apr 4, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
Hi, my CYA is about 200 based on the black dot test that I did and I want to drain my pool asap. Yes, I got "pool stored" by LPS and bought a bunch of 3" tabs, but I got them at Sam's club because they were much cheaper

That was 3 months ago, and I've been testing levels myself

I understand I shouldn't drain the entire pool, and to leave at least a foot in the shallow end. By my calculations, I need to drain 80% of the pool

I did see a blue hose coming out of a yard down the street to where I live, so I suppose that's what I have to do somehow

Attached is a pic of the pipes connected to my pool pump with the labels 'main drain', 'cleaner' and 'skimmer'.. .not sure what that all means and how to change the function

Is it best I just hire someone to drain the pool?

Gex, welcome to TFP! :wave: As Jim noted, a pic of your filter will clue us in on how to best drain your water. Also, now would be a good time to please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. Nice to have you join us. :)

That looks like a cartridge filter which does not have a waste/backwash line. So you would either have to take the lid off the filter and run the pump suction from only the floor and flood your backyard, or you will need to buy/rent a submersible pump with hose and pump out the water to a more desired location.

another pic of filter and pump

- - - Updated - - -

That looks like a cartridge filter which does not have a waste/backwash line. So you would either have to take the lid off the filter and run the pump suction from only the floor and flood your backyard, or you will need to buy/rent a submersible pump with hose and pump out the water to a more desired location.

thanks, i think i will just hire someone to do that, since i don't know exactly what tools i need to rent and the submersible pump sounds expensive

i'm guessing a pool guy would charge me $100 for a service like that?

Attachments

• pool filter 03.jpg
    pool filter 03.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 214
You can rent a pump with all the hose you want from Home Depot for around $40 I think. Or for a similar price, buy a smaller one from Harbor Freight, it will take a lot longer to drain though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The following may work....

Turn all suction to main drain, then hook a hose to the spigot above the pump and run to selected drain location. Turn pump on and open spigot. Will take a long time that way too - and will need to be monitored to prevent pump running dry.

You can rent a pump with all the hose you want from Home Depot for around $40 I think. Or for a similar price, buy a smaller one from Harbor Freight, it will take a lot longer to drain though.

any specific submersible pump?

i see a 3/4 HP stainless steel on harbor freight for $60

and a 1/3 HP thermoplastic on amazon for $53, that can work with a 1-1/4" trash hose (costs as much as the pump)

i figure i should buy one since i can reuse it as often as needed

Great if you can. But, there is not typically land that is feet below water level near the pool to allow that to work for in ground pools.
I ghettovaccumed some sand yesterday, suction end was 7' below waste end. Water level-->bucket was maybe 12" difference.

My hose defies gravity. And can someone please make a pockethose (the shrinking kind) that doesn't self destruct?

Gex, did you correct your CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.