Increasing CH and CYA, which order and best application

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
I need to add calcium chloride to raise my CH. I need to add 14 lbs to which I have the granular form. Whats the best method to add the product. I also need to raise my CYA from 20 to 40. I have conditioner in the granular form as well and need to know the best way to apply the product. Any particular order and dosage rate etc. Lastly, I have white film forming on my tile. Any rememdy advice. My last pool reading as of this date was:

FC 8 (raised from 2.5)
CC 0
TC 0
PH 7.5
TA 80
CH 120
CYA less than 20

I went ahead and checked my FC and it has fallen from 8 ppm back to 2 ppm in about 4 1/2 hours...... Seems a bit quick.

Hi....no particular order....

Your FC is falling quick because your CYA is so low, that's normal. Use the Pool Calc to determine your dosage, and since you have a cart filter you can pour the CYA slowly into the skimmer, don't clean your filter for one week, as it will slowly dissolve in your filter. Retest in a week or so. After 48 hours, "assume" the CYA level is increasing according to how much your target was and start keeping your FC level according to the chart. Or if you are still keeping the FC high because of the stains, that's okay too.

The CH instructions should be on the package, it's either pre-dissolve in water or "broadcast" over the deepend. Since you are plaster broadcasting is ok (if it's not too windy out) and just remember to brush... if you pre-dissolve it don't put your hand in the solution - it get's very hot and can cause skin irritation.

How are the stains looking?

Frustrated,

Forgot to ask, in regards to brushing after applying the calcium chloride, how long do you bruch? Just once after applying, or every few hours etc. ? Also, I conducted the PH minus in a sock test on a previous stain and the run off from the sock has caused a tan stain that runs from the area that the sock had been placed to the drain. Any suggestion as to how to treat this stain?

chris4150 said:
Frustrated,

Forgot to ask, in regards to brushing after applying the calcium chloride, how long do you bruch? Just once after applying, or every few hours etc. ? Also, I conducted the PH minus in a sock test on a previous stain and the run off from the sock has caused a tan stain that runs from the area that the sock had been placed to the drain. Any suggestion as to how to treat this stain?

Just once should be good, you just want to make sure it's dissolved. As for the sock/stain...I have no clue - that sock/acid trick was new to me I had not heard of it before Evan mentioned it. Hopefully he will chime in.

I used the granular form from HTH, 96% CYA 4% inert, as per their instructions it states to pour the granuals into the skimmer with the pump on and not to backwash for at least 48 hours. I made sure to read the directions several times because the conditioner was in the granual form versus the liquid form which I have used before with my first plaster but the cost was outrageous. I plan on leaving the pump running on speed 2, for engergy efficiency, for the recommended period of time.

chris4150 said:
I used the granular form from HTH, 96% CYA 4% inert, as per their instructions it states to pour the granuals into the skimmer with the pump on and not to backwash for at least 48 hours. I made sure to read the directions several times because the conditioner was in the granual form versus the liquid form which I have used before with my first plaster but the cost was outrageous. I plan on leaving the pump running on speed 2, for engergy efficiency, for the recommended period of time.

You'll be fine. :wink: :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.