Bonding grid question

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So, perhaps a bit after the fact, but I thought I would ask.

So the pool structural rebar connected to the bonding grid around the pool with an approved clamping device and #8 copper wire and must extend 3ft out away from the edge of the pool. So, if there is rebar in the concrete pool deck, is it good enough to just have the deck rebar touching the bonding grid rebar and tied to it with regular rebar wire? See the underlined below. If that was not done is there an issue with potentially shocking somebody? I do recall the deck contractor telling the inspector that there was "no rebar" going to be used on the patio deck, when I asked about it the contactor told me it would have just caused delays if we told him we were putting rebar in the deck. Odd or I am just reading into this too much?

The code states:

Section 680.26. Equipotential Bonding.
(C) Equipotential Bonding Grid. The parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to an equipotential bonding grid with a solid copper conductor, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG or rigid metal conduit of brass or other identified corrosion-resistant metal conduit. Connection shall be made by exothermic welding or by listed pressure connectors or clamps that are labeled as being suitable for the purpose and are of stainless steel, brass, copper, or copper alloy. The equipotential bonding grid shall conform to the contours of the pool and shall extend within or under paved walking surfaces for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall be permitted to be any of the following:

(1) Structural Reinforcing Steel. The structural reinforcing steel of a concrete pool or deck where the reinforcing rods are bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or the equivalent. Where deck reinforcing steel is not an integral part of the pool, the deck reinforcing steel shall be bonded to other parts of the bonding grid using a minimum 8 AWG solid copper conductor. Connection shall be per 680.26(D).(2) Bolted or Welded Metal Pools. The wall of a bolted or welded metal pool.

(3) Alternate Means. This system shall be permitted to be constructed as specified in (a) through (c):

Do it right. You can't go back and redo it after the concrete is poured and we often have members getting shocked when the touch their deck.

Do it right. You can't go back and redo it after the concrete is poured and we often have members getting shocked when the touch their deck.

Well this is the funny part, the concrete is poured. I came across this question about bonding grids with a friend who is having a pool built also. It got me thinking as to why the deck contractor told the inspector there was no rebar going into the pool deck other than the bonding grid. I got some excuse from the contractor when I asked why he lied to the inspector. Now I am wondering if we are going to have an issue. The fun continues, suggestions?

If the rebar in the deck is tied with rebar wire to the bonded rebar in the shell as you described above I think you are going to be fine what you have is basically a ufer ground. Would have been better to have the #8 wire clamped to the deck and cost would have been next to nothing but sounds as if that ship has sailed.

When your pool is built and filled/running:

Wet the deck, then test with one multimeter probe in the water, the other on the wet deck.

one guy last week reported .8 volts

they felt a tingle when getting out after swimming.

Well, here is another angle, we experienced excessive cracking in the cement from too wet of a mix. The contractor has agreed to take out the damaged sections all of which at the coping edge. 7 sections in total. This is when I asked how they are going to reconnect the bonding grid if they are cutting through it was a saw. So is there a "Correct" way to "re-connect" a bonding grid to adjacent sections of decking? This question and the discussion with my friend is what got me thinking about this situation. Sort of a mess.

- - - Updated - - -

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.