My numbers...PH creeps up...lots of acid

Sep 1, 2008
Northern CA
First off, let me say, like so many others: this site is awesome. The knowledge and support is incredible.
New pool owner here: in-ground gunite, with fill in January, 2009
My numbers today are:

FC: 1.96
TC: 2.21
PH: 7.9
TA: 114
CYA: 51
Cal. Hardness: 510
CSI (at 68 degrees): +.7

Water is crystal clear.
My PH is constantly moving up...seems like every other day I'm hitting with acid.
The CH has always been high - yet when I test our fill water, it's more in the 200 range.

Is what I'm experiencing (the creeping PH and high CH) associated with the new plaster cure?
I understand it can take months to completely cure...

Any other ideas/suggestions...? Or do we seem to be ok?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

You can significantly reduce your PH drift by lowering your TA to around 60 or 70. Your PH will still go up because of the new plaster, but not as much.

What are you using for testing? Most of the test system that give results that look like yours tend to have acuracy problems.

I will lower the TA using acid and aeration...sounds like a plan.
I use the LaMotte kit. I've tested it against my TFP kit and I don't see any difference, which leads me to believe the unit is accurate...
and it's much easier and less subjective for my eyes.
Will see if lowering the TA does the trick.
Is the high CH a result of the new plaster?

NPG,

Welcome.

Is the high CH a result of the new plaster?
Yes. That will diminish over the next few months and be inconsequential next season.

Keep your pH a little lower than you currently report (7.4 or so ) and watch it carefully and you shoud have no calcium precip issues.

The testing you are using is infamously innaccurate with the CYA test results. I'd check the CYA test against the drops based (TFP100) and, if they are different, the TF100 is normally correct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.