Valves - PVC ball vs Brass Ball vs Diverter Valves

Aug 20, 2014
miami, fl
Im installing all new plumbing on my pool with multiple skimmers and water features, and I want to make sure I get the right valves for trouble free operation.
Does anyone have experience with this and recommendations?

My initial thoughts:

1. Cheap Home depot PVC ball valves - use them to adjust flow for each line in water features/multiple skimmers - get them adjusted right once, and never have to turn them again, thus quality doesn't matter?
So far i have not had a problem with them leaking, although my experience is limited.

2. Higher-end Jandy PVC ball valves. maybe this is what i should be using for skimmers/water features instead of home depot valves to avoid potential leaking in the future?

3. Brass ball valves - use for when occasional turning will be required. what about issues with mineral buildup or corrosion?

4. Jandy/Hayward/Pentair Diverter valves - use anytime the valve will need to be turned frequently, like during the weekly cleaning?

thanks

You may not have had grief with the cheap PVC valves, but plenty of other people have posted about problems. Most common is they seize and the handles break off. Cutting out the bad valves generally involves a whole lot of other cutting and a complete replumb.

Why mess around with metal valves? You'll have to glue in threaded adaptors. Might as well just glue a plastic valve in directly and be done with it.

My choice would be swimming pool valves that are rebuildable. They glue in place and they don't leak and they work for years and years without trouble.

The problem with ball valves is the ball swells over time and sticks, the end result is breaking the handle off trying to force them. Depending on the quality of the ball valve this takes about 3-5 years.

Hayward makes a similar union style ball valve for pool use, and while it may cost a bit more they will likely still be around in a few years if you need a replacement, unlike the low bidder of the year that often supplies the big box stores

Just to clarify, for valves that will NOT be turned, used to just restrict/even out/adjust flow to multiple skimmers and deck jets/water features, ball valves seem to be the best to me. I dont have to worry about it failing and not turning because i wont turn it.

any valve that will be turned a lot - diverter valve all day, absolutely.

i like the idea of using unions and have removable ball valves, that seems like the best solution. Thats what ill do when the regular ball valves i have go bad.

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.