Older Hayward pool filter - Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic? Irritation?

Mar 21, 2011
I have an older Hayward 900 series cartridge filter. I was recently working in the pool pump area updating some plumbing and I noticed that I get very itchy and irritated after brushing my arms up against the filter housing. It feels like it would if you crawl around in fiberglass insulation. slightly itchy and little spots of irritation. It slowly moves awary from the area of contact and into various other areas. Definitely a fiberglass feel. So far this has lasted 3 weeks on and off. I remember this also occurring another time a few years ago when handling the filter housing and it took forever to get the feeling to go away. So is the filter housing fiberglass reinforced? Does anyone else ever have this issue?

Looks like you are correct about the reinforcing I found this YouTube video Hayward C900 Star-Clear Plus 90-Square-Foot 1-1/2-Inch Pipe Cartridge Pool Filter - YouTube looks like sales info not from the munfacture but have no reson to doubt it. If you are looking for a possible fix I have a Werner fiberglass ladder that was doing the same thing. they call it fiberglass bloom supposedly it does not affect the structural integrity of the ladder so my guess is the filter housing would be much the same. Werner suggests carnauba wax to reduce the effect. I took it one step farther and bought a gallon of fiberglass resin at Home Depot sanded the ladder a bit and painted it with the resin. Been a couple of years the ladder is still stored in the sun and so far so good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.