New Pool Install - Pump Issues

Oct 13, 2015
Macclenny, FL
I recently decided to have a fiberglass pool installed and I worked with a local pool contractor. The one thing that I requested as part of the process was to be able to select better quality products such as the pump, filter, etc. We agreed to terms on this and since I could purchase the items cheaper through Amazon and have them delivered for free to my home I purchased the pump, filter, heater and chlorinator. The items I selected and purchased are listed below. My pool contractor told me these were top of the line and we agreed to use these.

Pump - Hayward SP2602VSP Super Pump VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump
Chlorinator - Hayward AQR9 Goldline ​AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 25000-Gallon Cell
Heater - Hayward H200FDP Universal H-Series Low NOx 200,000 BTU Propane Gas Residential Pool and Spa Heater
Filter - Hayward S220T Pro-Series 22-Inch 1-1/2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve Top-Mount Pool Sand Filter for In-ground Pool
Pool - Barrier Reef Fiberglass

So there have been a few issues along the way mostly with timing, permits, concrete, etc but it has all been worked out and finally everything is ready to start the process of priming the pump. The plumbing is all 2" PVC and all of the returns, main drains and skimmer plumbing was pressure testing prior to filling in any sand. The lines coming out of the ground were all labeled correctly and everything was ready to go.

The contractor starts the priming process as you would expect with filling the strainer portion of the pump, providing power to the pump and ready to go. The pump will not pull water on the suction side. They have tried various methods and none seem to work so they have contacted other pool guys and they claim that the pump I selected has had issues and that the pool guys no longer use that pump. I read many reviews and this pump was always rated very high by consumers and by pool professionals.

Today they are scheduled to bring a single speed pump to try and prime the system again (Day 4). I am including a few pictures of teh layout and I'm looking for any advice from professionals on what we can do to get this working. My suggestions have been a Jandy valve and also contacting a certified Hayward service technician to check the pump.

Is there a specific setting the sand filter should be set on for priming? Thanks for any advice you guys or gals can offer.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P4060011.jpg
    P4060011.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 33
  • P4060012.jpg
    P4060012.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.