pentair variable pump run settings

You can run a SWG for a short time at a low percent setting or a longer time at a higher setting and produce the same result. If you have to use a higher speed to satisfy the flow switch, I would set the SWG on 100% and set a timer to run it just the amount of time needed to maintain the desired FC level. It can run during the AM when running your cleaning cycle, then continue as needed before the SWG timer turning off and the pump speed dropping to a lower, more economic setting. Just be sure that the SWG isn't powered up during a time the pump isn't running.

I know this is nv269 thread but how would you calculate the gpm? On my Easytouch it will tell me the RPM speed along with the WATTS for that speed but I do not see gpm anywhere. Also what is head loss?

The ic40 should work down to 25 gpm. If you are only getting 25 gpm at 2100 or 1700 rpm, there is a lot of head loss in the plumbing.

So I just was searching the web and see there are a bit of other people with similar issues with the SWG creating chlorine at slower speeds.

For me a brief was that when the pool builder put the D.E. into our filter he poured 9lbs in however the filter says 6lbs. When I originally played with the RPM for the pool pump anything lower than 2100 RPM would turn the RED low flow light on.

About 3 weeks ago I cleaned the filter and left everything as is.

This morning I was going to clean my SWG however when I took it out it looked brand new on the inside with no calcium buildup at all. I put it back together and started the pump back up at its previously configured speed.

Then I saw nv269's post today and started to wonder if maybe my flow rate was lower due to the filter being dirty. So I just went outside and started playing with the RPM's again and watching the flowrate on my SWG.

I am pleased to say that I have now dialed it from 2100 RPM down to 1610 RPM. Quite a difference on ambient noise as well. My pressure regulator on the filter went from 11 down to 6 when I lowered the speed. I will go back out in a bit and make sure the flowrate is still good.

If I now dial it to 1600 the red flow light comes on. Prior to me cleaning the filter anything below 2100 the red flow light would come on. Lots to learn :).

UPDATE:

So I went back at to look at my SWG about 30 minutes after lowering it to 1610 RPM and once again the low flow light was alternating RED/GREEN. When it is RED no chlorine is being produced. I upped the RPM to 1650 and will go back out in a bit and monitor it.

What I did notice at this lower speed is that the WEIR doors in my two skimmers are no longer getting sucked to the waterline. With this said I am not sure how bigger leaves and such will make it to the skimmer. The smaller debris is passing around the sides. Something else I will need to monitor now.

I know this is nv269 thread but how would you calculate the gpm? On my Easytouch it will tell me the RPM speed along with the WATTS for that speed but I do not see gpm anywhere. Also what is head loss?

Read the Hydraulics 101 sticky in my sig and that should answer all your questions.

I am not a pool plumbing expert by all means but it looks like they didn't allow for a 12" - 18" run of straight pipe before the cell per Pentair installation. Their installation suggests that for best flow sensing. I can't tell if you have the ability to do this but it could help. I run mine about 1150 - 1200 rpm; however, I have to watch it because if flow is restricted at all due to the filter doing it's job, I can find that the flow wasn't enough. I keep it a bit higher - 1300 or so to be sure I don't come home after a 97 degree day and find that no chlorine was put in my pool for the day.

I run my pump about 200 rpm higher than the minimum required to operate the flow switch. That insures that it will continue to work even if the filter is dirty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.