How unwise is it to dump a bag of cal-hypo powder in the inline feeder?

What other types of chlorine might be in there? The tablets, the liquid?

I'm just wondering if, and don't think this is wise but am not quite sure why yet, if the inline feeder could be used for the powder (with no tabs) when I'm away for a few days b/c it's not stabilized and won't raise the CYA.

Perhaps a review of Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool is advised ... there are many forms of chlorine.

When the trace amounts of Trichlro (tablets) in the feeder mix with the powder you have which is Cal-hypo ... it explodes. There are videos.

Ignoring the explosion ... the powder is not going to erode correctly in the feeder anyway.

If you do not want to raise the CYA, then best bet is to use liquid. And if you are not going to be around for a few days, then you have to raise the FC extra high so it drifts down while you are gone and does not get too low for your CYA level. This is why TFP recommends adding chlorine daily and is geared toward the owners/DIY.

Thank you, "the powder is not going to erode correctly in the feeder" is the answer for which I was looking, I certainly never intended to dump a bag in on top of tablets. Although I do now feel fortunate that my feeder didn't explode in the past as I'm sure at one time or another I've sprinkled a bag around the pool while there were tabs in the feeder - apparently I'm lucky to be alive!

Yes, my comment was more than a little tongue in cheek in light of the hysteria my original question unintentionally provoked.

Given the potential for such a violent reaction, perhaps a warning on Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool is advised.

Hysteria? Really? Tell it to these guys.
FORWARDERLAW.COM : LIBRARY

an excerpt

It turns out that cal-hypo is some tiger when it comes to chemical instability and explosive potential. The court’s opinion goes through a scientific explanation (based on expert testimony) you almost need a chemistry degree to understand. Put simply, cal-hypo’s properties are subject to “thermal runaway,”

and they didn't mix it with anything

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.