New house green pool

Caspeo

Apr 5, 2016
E.Bridgewater Ma
Well for starters I am very happy I found this site. I'm hoping to get cheaper and better info here than from my local pool store who's trying to sell me the world. I recently purchased a house and it has a pool. I've never had a pool so I don't have a clue. What I do know is that it is a nice mix between green and brown and full of pine needles and leaves. The previous owner didn't open it up last year. It's a 24x17 above ground Kayak half & half meaning 1 side is a deep end. It has a sta-rite cartridge style filter and is currently somewhat covered. My ?'s are how do I start by getting the water clean and also should I stay with a cartridge style filter or switch to DE ? I plugged in the filter and the motor/pump sounds a little rough so at the very least I'm thinking I will need a cartridge and motor pump Assy. With having to put $ out to fix this system I want to make sure it's not a better idea to just buy a new DE system. As far as the water I've had a few people tell me just to dump a bunch of bleach in it. That doesn't seem right to me but like I said I don't know anything about pools but hoping to learn quick. Any help is greatly appreciated. Seems funny to be asking about pools when I have snow on my front lawn but that's New England for you. Next week it will be 80

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

How big is the cartridge filter? If it is too small, then I might advise replacing (with sand or a bigger cartridge or DE ... all personal preference: See Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison)

To clear up the water, the first thing you are going to need to do is invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits. The TF-100 is the best value, and since you are dealing with a swamp, the XL option is a good idea. And finally, the SpeedStir makes the testing easier and more fun.

So, your friends have almost the right idea. You do need to add a lot of bleach, but we have a specific method to clearing up your pool that will not damage anything. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

Some other related reading:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

And really, you should likely start with some of the basics, before doing much besides ordering the test kit.
Have you discovered Pool School yet? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to start with ordering a tf-100 test kit and clean the old nasty filter in some TSP and use that filter to do tha SLAM then switch to the new cartridge. Hope it works. But 1st I need to get the pine needles and everything else out of the water. I think I saw a frog swimming around. :crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does it have a 5 digit date code on it? It will be something like 16099 which would mean it was bottled on the 99th day of 2016. You want it to be fresh. You can get regular bleach from the laundry aisle also. Again, check for freshness.

12.5% is nice and it is a full gallon! That makes for a lot less jugs to haul. Concentrated grocery store bleach is 8.25% and only 121 oz. I usually get it for 2.99

Ok so I finally had some free time today and broke out the test kit. Not sure if my readings are any good but I'm new to this so here is what I have keep in mind my pool looks like a swap and I've been scooping out pine needles all day.

FC 0
CC 0
PH 6.8
TA 30
CYA 0
CL 0

any my and all help greatly appreciated

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.