New here and need advice/guidance

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
Hello, I have been ready thru all the threads, helps, schools, etc... I recently purchased a home with a 16x32 inground vinyl pool. I opened it up a few days ago and was suprised that it was actually clear. The water on the deep end is a little cloudy but nothing major. I tool a water sample to my local pool store (I am waiting on my test kit to come it) and they gave me these results.

FC=0.08
TC=0.17
CC=0.09
PH=6.5
CH=19
CYA=40
Copper=2.2
Dissolved Solids=500
Saturation Index=-2.7
Endure=0

They want me to pour 5lbs of Versene to lower the Copper before I do anything else. Does this sound logical? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I also want to note that I am on well water and was told by the previous owner that the pool was filled from the well. I have read that well water can cause high copper levels. I do not know what was used to close the pool last fall but it was performed by a professional.

Thanks

Ok, hang on to your money until you get your own test kit. Personally I don't even know what Versene is but others here will probably chime in.

While we often suggest folks get metal tests done at pool stores but the rest of your test results are questionable so lets not rush to assume anything.

Have you had metal problems before (clear green water, green hair, stains?) Do you add algaecides??

Your pH is alarmingly low...we need to know all the equipment you have as well as what chemicals you put in the pool. Head over to the grocery store and pick up a box of Borax from the laundry aisle (or washing soda, both will work). You'll be needing that to raise that pH.

And when will your test kit arrive? Give us a full set of test results: FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA.

Please update a signature line with the equipment, and add SC to your Easley (right??) so we know your pool's climate. Thanks :)

I have heard of Iron and some other metals in well water but have not seen copper at those levels.. it leads me to believe someone was using copper based cleaning like this Poolcenter and algaecide... take a sample of your tap water along with a sample of your pool water to the same place and have them test it for metals, I bet they are not the same...

Wait until your TF100 arrives and come back with those numbers and we can better help you :)

Thanks for the info... I will make a signature tonight when I get home with all the pool specs. Easley SC is correct. This is a "new" to me pool so I have never added anything to it. I know that nothing has been added since October 2015 as thats when we closed on the house. I purchased the Versene but nothing else at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

I have heard of Iron and some other metals in well water but have not seen copper at those levels.. it leads me to believe someone was using copper based cleaning like this Poolcenter and algaecide... take a sample of your tap water along with a sample of your pool water to the same place and have them test it for metals, I bet they are not the same...

Wait until your TF100 arrives and come back with those numbers and we can better help you :)

Very good idea on getting them to test my tap water. I will do that. I have another pool store close by and may have them test the water also just to compare.

Is the pump currently running? Do you have a water feature such as a waterfall or raised hot tub with a spill over into the pool? If so use it as it will naturally raise the PH due to aeration.
Pump is running and has been since I opened it 3 days ago. No water features or spill overs.

Good news! Then the most likely source of copper is algaecide. Unless you have a "mineral" system.
I do not have a mineral system.

I am wondering if something with high copper was added for the winter to keep down algae. Wish I knew who closed it last year so I could ask them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a sump pump that you could place on one of the steps, with the hose shooting the water back into the pool this would give you aeration. Aeration naturally raises pH.

Good idea. I will try that. I did order a water fountain that goes into one of the jets. The pool had one when we looked at the house before we closed but the previous owner must have had a special bond and decided he needed it more. haha. He did leave the actual part that has the holes drilled for the water fountain but took everything else.

Ahhhhh! Take a look at Skippy's fountain that he made last year. It was intended to cool the water (which it does well!) but it also acts to aerate. The link to it is in my siggy below.

Yippee :flower: <Skippy's proud wife>

Ahhhhh! Take a look at Skippy's fountain that he made last year. It was intended to cool the water (which it does well!) but it also acts to aerate. The link to it is in my siggy below.

Yippee :flower: <Skippy's proud wife>

I seen that earlier today. Not sure that I have the patients to drill all those holes.. :) Looks really nice though!

- - - Updated - - -

I have updated my signature with everything needed (I think). I poured the Versene into the pool tonight. Does anyone know if the Copper pool strips are any good at actually testing the water? Found out that the pool store wants $25 to retest my water if I do not buy my supplies from them. Another good reason to purchase the TF100. Also, if the copper level does not go down what is my next step?

Dang.....a Taylor's Copper Test Kit costs about $28 which will perform 50 tests. I'd say they're gouging a bit, huh??

If you think you're going to need to test enough to need a kit, TFTestkits.net sells them.

What exactly do the directions on the Versene say to do? Does it advise you to filter the chelated copper out somehow?

Dang.....a Taylor's Copper Test Kit costs about $28 which will perform 50 tests. I'd say they're gouging a bit, huh??

If you think you're going to need to test enough to need a kit, TFTestkits.net sells them.

What exactly do the directions on the Versene say to do? Does it advise you to filter the chelated copper out somehow?

I looked last night and did not see one on that site. Will look again. That does seem a little high. I found a product called CULater that is made to remove metals. Not sure how well it actually works. The Versene did not have any directions. They told me to pour it in around the edge of the pool and bring a water test in after 24 hours to make sure its gone. From what I read you can never remove all the metals, only "deactivate" them with routine applications.

That is unreal they want to charge that much to test your water. BYE-BYE you do not need them, you have TFP! LOL

Here is a link talking about metals in pool water. I am not sure if this helps you. Read it and let me know what you think.

Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Kim
I will take a look at this and let you know. Thanks!

edit - that confirmed what I have been reading and hearing. I truly believe that the copper was added by algaecides as nothing else should be causing numbers that high.

Here is the copper test, Copper Test TFTestkits.net. Only 23 bucks! If the copper came from algaecides then your best bet is to do about a 50% drain and refill and go from there. That will get the copper diluted enough that there should not be an issue with staining going forward. And there won't be any new copper added to the pool. Right? :)

Here is the copper test, Copper Test TFTestkits.net. Only 23 bucks! If the copper came from algaecides then your best bet is to do about a 50% drain and refill and go from there. That will get the copper diluted enough that there should not be an issue with staining going forward. And there won't be any new copper added to the pool. Right? :)

That kit only goes to 1.0ppm. The recommended kit for my situation is $79! Thats a little steep not knowing if this will be an on going problem. I may buy some copper test strips and see if anything has changed since I added the Versene. I know I will never add anything copper to this pool! I just hope it was the previous owners way of keeping algae out over the winter and not something in my tap (well) water. I actually had it tested before we moved in and nothing came back harmful. I would think that a percentage that high would have raised a flag at some point. If nothing has changed with the Versene I will have no choice but to drain and refill.

Maybe get the test from TFTestkits and test your well water to see if it is the source for the copper. I believe the goal is for copper to be 0.3 ppm or less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.