DFW Texas Pool & Spa Build (Round 2)

Hey Guys!

I'm back at it again and getting ready to sign the contract w/ the PB. (pending lender confirmation this week) We previously were looking to do a pool back in October last year but things got super busy and never got around to finishing up the process. Now summer is coming fast in DFW and we can't believe we waited this long. Anyway I'm glad we did because we originally were set on a free form style pool with the spa setup away from the patio. We've totally changed our minds and are now going with a rectangle pool and spa by the patio so we can watch TV. We also decided on another builder based on previous threads and online reviews. I was wondering if you guys could take a look at the build specs below and see if I'm missing anything that you might think would be worth adding. Keep in mind my budget is pretty maxed out as this builder has a premium price over the others we've received quotes from (about 5k-7k difference). However this builder included the soil injections right off the back as well as engineering letter and electrical reroute for my underground powerlines which I told all the other builders about and none of them included that in their quote so the price premium may not actually be that bad when comparing apples to apples.

A few things from reading over the threads I saw the ozone isn't praised very much however the people I saw that had them in their builds seemed to be happy. Leave it? Keep it?

Also not sure about the A&A floor cleaning system if that is really needed or not?

Are the Jandy Savi 30w and 20w (spa) LEDs going to be bright enough. 2 in the pool and 1 in the spa?

I also told the builder we want to be able to control the system with our smartphones and not the PDA as we would like to be able to do it from anywhere and not just locally. I assume this system does both?

Any changes equipment wise that would be worth it?

Polaris 280 vs a robotic cleaner? We really have no debris as we have no trees or anything in the new neighborhood so I'm not sure if that would be overkill. However I've heard a lot with the energy savings but then again I've heard a lot of possible maintenance as well.

Also I'm not sure if it is just the season coming up but the pools seems to be more expensive now than they were 6 months ago. :confused: However we can no longer wait!

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

p6.jpg

Here's a few renderings. The spillway from the spa will be diagonal and not like it is in the pic. The patterned concrete I'm thinking to be stamped to look like bigger/smaller rectangles and the existing covered patio will be capped to match. For the coping we're probably going to go with the cast stone over the flagstone since we're doing saltwater. I think it would be less maintenance and less sealing right? We also plan to put in a pergola with a fan and some string lights over the decking on the left however our budget is pretty maxed out right now so that will probably have to wait until next season.

8624%20Clara%20Drive-B_001%20-%20Copy.jpg

8624%20Clara%20Drive-B_002%20-%20Copy.jpg

8624%20Clara%20Drive-B_004%20-%20Copy.jpg

8624%20Clara%20Drive-B_003%20-%20Copy.jpg

Ozone adds nothing to a residential outdoor pool besides expense. Just maintain the proper chlorine level.

DEFINITELY!!! do not put the Nature II in the pool. Metals are a bad idea.

The in-floor cleaning systems are hit and miss. Some people like them, other they just do not work well enough to keep the pool clean. Plus you have a run a big pump at high flow rates for them to be effective (which uses more electricity). Just make sure you have a separate method of returning the water to the pool in normal wall jets that can be selected with valves.

I would not go with a boosted pressure cleaner like that. Energy hogs. Require you to be running 2 pumps just to clean the pool.

Raypak heaters seem to get the best reviews.

Man that seems expensive for a pool that is not very big. I guess I was lucky to not have to pay to install the pool that I have :D

Ozone adds nothing to a residential outdoor pool besides expense. Just maintain the proper chlorine level.

DEFINITELY!!! do not put the Nature II in the pool. Metals are a bad idea.

The in-floor cleaning systems are hit and miss. Some people like them, other they just do not work well enough to keep the pool clean. Plus you have a run a big pump at high flow rates for them to be effective (which uses more electricity). Just make sure you have a separate method of returning the water to the pool in normal wall jets that can be selected with valves.

I would not go with a boosted pressure cleaner like that. Energy hogs. Require you to be running 2 pumps just to clean the pool.

Raypak heaters seem to get the best reviews.

Man that seems expensive for a pool that is not very big. I guess I was lucky to not have to pay to install the pool that I have :D

Yeah I wasn't entirely sure what the Ozone and Nature II really do, the brochure information made it sound really good but I keep reading conflicting information on the web. Also with the size of the pool and no debris I was thinking the in floor cleaner is a waste myself. I would think those items would take some money off because your right, this price of these pools in DFW is getting crazy if you want to go with someone reputable. Hard pill to swallow when in October my build was looking around 55-60k and now I'm well over that.

I could probably axe those items and get a robotic polaris, save energy and money.

We have had our Claffey built pool since 2011. Nothing but praise for them. Great to deal with and do what they say. We have two Jandy Watercolors LED lights in the pool and one in the spa. They are adequate but I'd add more of the newer nicheless style if I could do it over again. Other than that, perfectly happy.

We have had our Claffey built pool since 2011. Nothing but praise for them. Great to deal with and do what they say. We have two Jandy Watercolors LED lights in the pool and one in the spa. They are adequate but I'd add more of the newer nicheless style if I could do it over again. Other than that, perfectly happy.

Awesome news. I've heard nothing but great things about Claffey which is why we decided to spend a little extra to go with them. Plus they are super prompt with replies and follow ups compared to the other PBs we've got quotes from.

...but I keep reading conflicting information on the web.

Honestly, after my time here, I can confirm/attest that there is little reason/need to research/read up on most pool topics elsewhere on the web (though I understand the desire too). The information will likely be conflicting and will also assuredly be either a) biased, b) written by a scorned soul, or c) wrong. Here the information will, to my satisfaction so far, be far superior in speed, accuracy and appropriateness for your needs. Just a quick plug for the site and its incredible value. I also recommend being a supporter! Best of luck with Round 2!

Re: DFW Texas Pool & Spa Build (Round 2)

Honestly, after my time here, I can confirm/attest that there is little reason/need to research/read up on most pool topics elsewhere on the web (though I understand the desire too). The information will likely be conflicting and will also assuredly be either a) biased, b) written by a scorned soul, or c) wrong. Here the information will, to my satisfaction so far, be far superior in speed, accuracy and appropriateness for your needs. Just a quick plug for the site and its incredible value. I also recommend being a supporter! Best of luck with Round 2!

I agree 100%. The knowledge here on this forum is unbelievable and so very helpful to many like myself!

Its gonna be gorgeous!!

Thanks! PB says my city permits take like 3 weeks just to start...seriously? Hopefully we can have everything wrapped up and signed by next week so we can get that process started.

- - - Updated - - -

PB just emailed me back and said the Ozone and Nature II system included in the price and we can remove it but it wouldn't change anything on the price. Interesting....

So they want you to pay for something even if you do not want it? :scratch:

Likely they get kick-backs for the companies for selling those. Why would not including some feature not result in a price reduction? Google their costs and ask for the price to be lowered. Everything is negotiable. Or have them give you something else for a similar cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So they want you to pay for something even if you do not want it? :scratch:

Likely they get kick-backs for the companies for selling those. Why would not including some feature not result in a price reduction? Google their costs and ask for the price to be lowered. Everything is negotiable. Or have them give you something else for a similar cost.

Some concept isn't it? I had to read her email twice to make sure I read it right lol!

I love a rectangular pool Myself -- nice!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think the clean and straight lines are back in. At least that is what I'm seeing a lot more of in DFW now. Plus it allows us to maximize our tiny lot with a huge easement.

Yay for another geometric pool!!! My first pool was free form and it was nice, but this time I think I also saw a trend with clean lines and simple shapes. I read an article from an architect firm that 90% of their projects were rectangular pools and lap pools. I'm very happy with mine :)
Everyone has their own taste and I think you should get what you want if your paying for it, whatever it is :)

Btw, your pool is basically the same size as mine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay for another geometric pool!!! My first pool was free form and it was nice, but this time I think I also saw a trend with clean lines and simple shapes. I read an article from an architect firm that 90% of their projects were rectangular pools and lap pools. I'm very happy with mine :)
Everyone has their own taste and I think you should get what you want if your paying for it, whatever it is :)

Btw, your pool is basically the same size as mine too.

Yes I actually saw your posts and loved the pool and was comparing the size to see if I would be happy with that size since a that's what we have space for. Glad your happy with yours! Looks amazing! Btw where did you get those wave chairs for the tanning ledge? Those are sweet!

Love your design- it's going to be beautiful! I also have a similarly shaped and sized pool. I was afraid it would be tiny but so far (we are still under construction), we are happy with the size.

Great advice so far on the ozone, nature 2 and ditching the Polaris in favor of a robot. You should definately GET something for not having those items.
I look forward to watching your progress!

We have similar lot constraints and are going with a rectangular pool.
I would echo the opinion to drop the Ozone, the Nature 2 and the in floor cleaning, especially since you are over budget. I would probably get a robot cleaner as well.
Good luck!

Love your design- it's going to be beautiful! I also have a similarly shaped and sized pool. I was afraid it would be tiny but so far (we are still under construction), we are happy with the size.

Great advice so far on the ozone, nature 2 and ditching the Polaris in favor of a robot. You should definately GET something for not having those items.
I look forward to watching your progress!

You're build is going to be awesome! I just went through most of the thread and cant wait to see it done! As I'm sure you can't wait either lol

Thank you! I think I talked about that on a post, I found them online at Modani and picked them up in Miami, but I'm sure they could ship them... They were half the cost of those ledge loungers, I love them :)

Oh no I don't see it on their site anymore :grrrr:. I'll have to keep searching!

Very pretty design, geometrics are in ;) The price seems really high though, even for TX. Get a few other bids, maybe? Get him to give you some discounts!

Thanks! It's super high IMO. 6 months ago for a free form pool I was looking at 16k cheaper...although the rectangle pool is bigger I wouldn't expect 16k bigger. The other bids I've received are within 5-7k. Which is a lot of money but heck when you can't get a good response from the sales guy it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth when the type of response I would get if I have an issue. Another reputable builder that is about 5k cheaper I left the office Friday and picked out the design and materials for the quote and he still has yet to email it over to me and I told him we're in a hurry as we want to get the permit process started asap since there is an approx 3 week wait time.

Spoke with the lender today and she advised we should be able to close next week! Submitting to HOA, hopefully that doesn't take long as there are only 4 families living in the community so far lol. I emailed the PB just now telling them I'm not sold on the nature II and ozone and requested a regular SWG type setup. Told them we don't want metals in the water. For almost 80k I think they would figure it out!

This was the response I got from the PB in regards to a SWG vs the nature/ozone setup:

"I also wanted to let you know and try and rest your mind at ease that it is trace amounts of copper and silver. Here is the science behind that, copper attacks bacteria and silver attaches algae. Also I just confirmed my original thought with my construction manager, if we do just the salt system by itself you will have to supplement the chlorine content in the dead heat of summer (July and August) because no matter what type or size salt generator you have it will not be enough to generate enough chlorine to maintain proper water chemistry. This is another reason we try and add as much “help” as we can to balance the water chemistry out"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.