Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Choosing SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Choosing SWG

I have a 45,000 gallon in ground pool which I would like to convert to SW.
    I see PoolPilot has a system rated up to 50k but not sure if I am pushing it there or would have to run the system 24/7.
    We had a guy out from the local pool store pushing a Mineral Springs system but when asked if his company sold any other systems he said no. Just making me think his scope is very limited. Any thoughts are appreciated.

SM
    New to the life of a pool owner.
    45,000 Gallon IG, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, broken heater, thanks previous owner, Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

By your name - are you from Phoenix? There are a few of us here from Arizona. We just have to get more Arizonans here, Texas is making us look weak by numbers. LOL!

Hey, you are in luck. One of our nicest and most helpful members and all around good guy, PoolSean, stops by here almost daily and helps people out with all kinds of questions. He happens to be a rep for AutoPilot, but I can tell you he never pushes his product here, though he honestly answers all questions. He helps any and all, no matter the brand or the question, when he can. So, hopefully he's not traveling and will be along, soon.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

3. Back To Top    #3
    AutoPilot also sells systems that are larger then the ones listed at their web site. Poolsean should be along in a little while to be more specific or you could call AutoPilot and talk to someone there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Re: Help Choosing SWG

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixoasis
    I have a 45,000 gallon in ground pool which I would like to convert to SW.
    I see PoolPilot has a system rated up to 50k but not sure if I am pushing it there or would have to run the system 24/7.
    We had a guy out from the local pool store pushing a Mineral Springs system but when asked if his company sold any other systems he said no. Just making me think his scope is very limited. Any thoughts are appreciated.

SM
    A Mineral Springs system is a Goldline unit private labeled for Bio Guard chemical dealers. The largest unit that Goldline makes supports pools up to 40,000 gallons (based on a 24 hour run time). The AutoPilot SC-60's 50,000 gallon mark is also based on a 24 hour run time. How many hours per day do you currently run your pool? Is the pool in Arizona?

Josh
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

5. Back To Top    #5
    Thanks everyone for the fast replies.

The pool is in Phoenix, Maryland.
    Arizone I wish!

The filter runs from 9am to 9pm and the polaris runs from 9am until 12 noon.
    This is the initial setting and has been working for me.

Please keep in mind I have been at this for only 3-4 weeks so any advice is appreciated.

My previosu neighbors had a SWG and I loved the feel of it and believe that with a pool this size it should pay for itself.
    I want to ensure we get out on the right foot, and purchase the most suitable system for our pool.
    New to the life of a pool owner.
    45,000 Gallon IG, Pentair 420 Cartridge filter, broken heater, thanks previous owner, Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Phoenix,

The SC-60 cell will work fine with your operating parameters. BTW, we can do something about the heater situation.
    www.aquacal.com
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

7. Back To Top    #7

We are looking into a SWCG. We had a company come out and they told us that we only had room for an Ecomatic and they would have to re-plumb return manifold at valve. I am wondering what the size requirements are for the Autopilot. Are the SWCGs much different in size from one brand to another? Or does this company have an abundance of Ecomatics? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Carolyn

22X44 freeform gunite with DE filter (44,500 gallons), 4 deck jets

8. Back To Top    #8
    The AutoPilot units need about 13" of horizontal pipe with free space above the pipe. Many of the other units are a little shorter, perhaps 10-11".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Don't know if this attachment will work or not, but here's a suggestion. From the left side of the Jandy Valve (looking at the photo), I think this goes to the three return lines going into the ground, which is for your pool? The right side of the Jandy Valve is for your spa?

It appears that you're already using 2" pvc plumbing. If so, then the Jandy valve is a 2" ID x 2.5" OD.
    Rather than using a 90 degree elbow out of the Jandy valve and into the Tee, then splitting it to the three lines going down into the ground, cut the 90 degree fitting off and use the 2.5" outer portion of the Jandy valve to glue a 2.5" x 2" reducing bushing. Run a short length of 2" pipe to the manifold inlet. Run a short length of 2" pipe to a 2" 90 Ell, into another 2" 90 Ell, then into a 2" tee into the left return line, finally into a coupling that connects the other two return lines into the ground.

The attached document shows what I'm trying to describe. This way, the pool pilot will return your sanitized water into all three returns. And get rid of the erosion feeder!

Sean
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. Back To Top    #10

Poolsean-Thanks so much. You are the reason I am most comfortable with the Autopilot.
    Carolyn

22X44 freeform gunite with DE filter (44,500 gallons), 4 deck jets

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad to help and thanks.