Newbie Pool owner....at a loss :-(

Hello!

I am new to owning a pool (swam in one as a kid lol!) and have already had some issues and now own a large swamp. I am at a loss as to where to even begin. Here are the details that I know:

33' round 54" deep Diamond Star AGP (28,400 gallons)
Waterway 1.5hp sand filter with a perma salt system

Due to drought conditions in 2014, we were unable to maintain it (restrictions didn't allow us to fill it). It is now a bog with green/yellow water and lovely nasty floaties in it. The pool has about 2 feet of water left in it. Here is my first problem....What do I do? Do I refill it? Drain it? Also, I don't even have a test kit. Any advice on where to buy the suggested ones? I know I can learn all this, but feel really dumb right now and appreciate any help I an get. The pool was installed in summer 2014 but no help from the installer.

I live in South Texas, outside San Antonio.

Thanks!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You do not want to fully drain it as that could cause the liner to shrink and rip ... it is fairly new, so that might not happen, but I would not want to risk it.
You can certainly clear it up without draining it though.

I would get the TF-100 with XL option and optionally the SpeedStir on order ASAP. tftestkits.net is the seller

While waiting, scoop out any debris you can and then fill it up and get the circulation working and keep reading here ... check out Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

You are going to need to follow the SLAM process, so read up on that too.

Howdy neighbor! You came to the right place. I agree with Jason - the TF-100 (w/ speed stir) is fantastic (XL option gives you more reagent). Read the SLAM page carefully (link in my sig below). Start stocking-up on regular bleach from HEB (Bravo) or Wal-Mart (Great Value) unless you have another favorite source nearby. Also, copy & paste your pool info to your signature so it's visible on any future posts you may list. It helps us all a bunch. Reminder - you'll leave the SGW off during the SLAM as it will not be able to produce the required chlorine (FC) required, hence the regular bleach. :)

If the past two days are any indication of what we have ahead of us, you'll want that water clear soon. :swim: We'll help you. Welcome!

Thank you so much! I ordered the TF-100 and added the XL and the leaf rake so I got free shipping. LOL!! Didn't see your post on the stirrer until after I ordered. I will start filling it today. I am on "city" water (live in the sticks so it is a co-op). SWG is the perma-salt system, right? Sorry but the installers were less than helpful. I plan on going to their pool school this weekend.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. You should have the TF-100 by the weekend to start your SLAM. Keep in mind that contrary to what we typically heard from friends or pool stores, the filter is not what will change your water from green to clear, it's the chemistry. Once you get the TF-100 it will all make sense. Other than the TFP Pool School page, I would recommend you print the following and keep it with your test kit:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Recommended Levels
You'll look at those often. You'll be able to get just about any chemical from HEB or Wal-Mart. You might go to a hardware store or pool store for muriatic acid only. So until the kit arrives, do a little reading here at TFP and you'll be ready for this weekend.

I found muriatic acid at Lowe's so will go there when I need it. Quick question....do I start filling right now or wait until it is hotter? Can I fill it overnight or will the cooler temp cause problems with the liner? I am hoping it won't tear.

What % of bleach will I need?

You should be able to start filling anytime you are ready. Day or night should not matter. You probably don't want to overfill though. :) Once you get the water level mid-way up the skimmer, you could try starting the pump and see how the pool circulates just to make sure there are no problems there. You can always set your sand filter selector valve to recirculate or by-pass for now just so you can move water around until you are ready to start the SLAM. During the SLAM though, you'll be filtering and quite a few backwashes as well. As for bleach, HEB and Wal-mart regular bleach is 8.25%. It works just fine. You might find other places that sell "Pool Shock" which exactly the same thing, just a higher percentage strength. Go with the better buy. We're all about saving money at TFP.

Oh, and also take a moment at some point to get familiar with the Poolmath Calculator (in my sig below). That tool may seem busy to the eyes at first, but once you get used to it will save you LOTS of time when you need to determine how much of a product to add to the water.

You could probably call TFTestkits directly, reference your order, and have them add the speed stir. It sure helps with mixing the reagents for each test.

Check the strength of the muriatic acid. The stuff by the pool supplies at Lowes is only 14% for the same price as the 30% that you might find elsewhere. This is the 1 thing that I still buy at the pool store because it is full strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perma-Soft uses minerals like copper....right? We're generally against adding metals to pools. Is there any way to remove the minerals and continue with the SWG?
I think you are right, I saw it mentioned and then forgot to point out that this system might cause more problems than good.

There are many threads discussing the perma-salt system you can search for.

Nobody's requested pics yet? Recommend taking a few of the setting and one each day from the same spot looking in towards the steps. This will allow for confirmation of daily water color changes that are harder to do with just memory of what it looked like yesterday. They are also a sort of a TFP currency for the advice received...along with becoming a supporter as you are able if the site is helpful to you.

Best of luck! You won't need it though.

Hi there! I posted this question in another thread by accident. :-( My hubby wants to just do the SLAM on the water that is in the pool instead of filling it. Is this advisable? He is going to use a small fish filter pump to circulate the water. It is less than half full at the moment.

You can add a gallon of bleach and brush your water to move it around (you don't want it to sit in one place) No need for a fish pump, it would hardly do anything.. Is there a reason you do not want to fill it up? Are you just waiting to receive the TF100? If so, it will not hurt the pool to sit for a couple more days like it is. The pump and filter are your best friends when it comes to clearing your pool along with bleach :)

That isn't a great idea because you won't be filtering out the dead algae and I doubt the pump can move anywhere close to the volume of water that the pool pump moves.

you do not have to have one, a leaf rake will get all the big stuff... it may help having a vacuum but not required :)

congrats on getting the test kit, get some numbers and lets get that pool nice a clean :)

It wouldn't hurt, but at minimum you want to remove as much debris as you possibly can if its in there. Leaves or whatever may have gotten in there. All the stuff like this you can remove, the better. Sorry if this is repetitive. If there is anything you can vacuum out, I would if it was me.

Eventually you will need to vacuum, but the important thing right now is to do a full battery of tests with your new toy, post back here if you have any questions, and simply follow everything on the "SLAM" page. Of course have plenty of HEB or Wal-Mart bleach ready to go. :) Always regular bleach, the cheap stuff is fine. Bravo or Great Value. You'll be doing backwashes somewhat frequently once you get going, so be ready for those when your pressure gauge increase by 25%. Key reminders:
- Make sure you have CYA (30ppm); Once you add the stabilizer for that target value, consider it done.
- Adjust pH to 7.2-7.5 before starting the SLAM with a high FC level
- Increase FC to 12 and maintain it 24/7, with pump also running 24/7 (low speed is fine)

Let us know if you have any more questions. Looks like more rain is on its way. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.