CC high or bad regents?

Sep 12, 2015
SW Florida
Last week I started to notice the odor of bleach or high cc. I have always had 0-.05 testing results. I will mention my water is super clear. It did get very slightly hazy a month ago but numbers were in range. I brought the chlorine level up and it went away the next day. I am on my 4th day of a slam and my free chlorine levels are not going down over night at all.

I am still getting readings of 1.5-3 cc. I have a 7 month old TF 100 test kit. I am beginning to wonder if one of the regents are bad. I did replace the 0870 powder as it was getting gray. My latest test results this morning were
FC 22
CC 2
ph 7.5 before slam
TA 80
CH 350
CYA 50

I would also mention my CYA had dropped from about 75 to about 20 over the winter. We have had near record rainfall in Southern Florida this winter. I have also been leaving the solar cover off during the day and putting on at night. Thanks, Jim

It would be very rare for the reagent to go bad that quickly. Where did you store the kit? The powder bring grey is also no big deal and it should be fine.

Very odd though that the FC is holding but you have high CC levels. Nothing is coming to mind...

I store my kit in a kitchen cabinet. My house rarely gets above 77 degrees. I didn't mention the testing the same water sample repeatedly I get fc numbers that can vary by up to 3 PPM and I am very careful to keep my testing methods consistent.

For chuckles i took a sample to the local pool store and they tested 0 for CC. I shouldn't have done that because now I question my own test results even though I know theirs are generally far from correct. My water is absolutely crystal clear and sparkling.

How old is the solar cover? Is it clean?

Chlorine can and will oxidize the plastic materials in the cover. Old covers can begin to disintegrate and discharge organic compounds into the water.

Try leaving the cover off entirely and see what happens.

The cover is near 5 months old and clean. I used it from October until Christmas and took it off until Mid Febuary when I started heating the pool again. It was kept in my shed out of the sun. I'll try leaving it off at night and see what happens. Thanks

I was doing a SLAM last summer and I had constant cc readings, even after about 4-5 days of crystal clear water. Turns out, the sample tube was dirty and the chlorinated pool water was reacting to whatever was in the sample tube, causing cc readings.

Long story short, clean your sample tube. Put some chlorinated water in the tube and let it sit for a few hours. Then rinse it out really well. See if you get more consistent results after you have a known clean sample tube.

The variance you are experiencing on the FAS/DPD test often comes from not knowing the endpoint. You continue to add drops until the last one you add makes no difference whatsoever to the solution. Then subtract that drop that had no influence and the remaining drops are your FC

If all else is right, I think your CC's reading is correct. Pink is pink and thats what the reagent is doing. Always trust yourself rather than the pool store, The forum has far too much anecdotal evidence.......don't trust the pool store IF you have a good kit.

To add to what Dave said, at higher FC levels, if you do not use enough of the powder, it can be hard to see the end-point. Try using a little more powder (you can not use too much) and see if that helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It actually dropped to 0 CC by dusk. I did leave the cover off overnight though. In a few days I may try it again and see if it makes a difference. I'm thinking of laying it out and washing it just in case. It is only about 6 months old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.