Yet Another Suction Side Leak Thread

Sep 13, 2015
Avondale, AZ
Good morning everyone. I have a suction side leak. They suck! lol. I've had the pool since November. From the beginning I had an air leak from the main drain line, as the popups would spit a pretty sizable amount of air when pulling from the drain. When pulling from the skimmer, they didn't spit air, but the skimmer basket still always a 3-4" head of air. Recently, it's been sucking air from either side, as over the last few days, I lose prime overnight when the pool is running on auto. It's on low speed at that hour, but I've never had this issue before. When I wake up in the morning to check it out, I'm barely getting any water from the spa spillover, where in the past, it was spilling over well. When I open the bleed on top of the filter, it's loaded with air! Regardless of pulling from the pool or spa, there is always the 3-4" of air in the skimmer basket.

I greased the pump union and tightened it well. I cleaned and greased the basket cover, and checked it several times for any cracks. I teflon-taped the pump drain plugs. I don't know what else to do. I'm guessing it HAS to be above ground, as it's doing it from skimmer or suction (and I still have the large air pocket in the skimmer basket when pulling from the spa as well, although it doesn't seem that air builds in the filter). I tried to isolate the leak last night with a fog machine (I'm a big kid during Halloween), but I didn't see anywhere that seemed to be pulling fog. Granted, it was tough to tell, because the pump fan was disruptive things a bit. I also tried dousing things with water but that didn't seem to make any difference either. Do the valves ever go south and start leaking? After ruling out the union/basket cover, etc., I'm thinking maybe the valve that diverts from skimmer/main drain? That is a common denominator here. That wouldn't explain the air in the skimmer basket when pulling from the spa, however.

Is there anything I didn't try that would be helpful? I can't keep letting the pump lose prime because of such a massive leak. THANK YOU in advance!!

You could very well have an air leak around the O-ring on the three-way valve. Coat any suspicious areas with shaving cream. If you start to see foam in the pump strainer or coming out the returns, you know it's getting drawn in. You might even get lucky and see a cavity form where the leak is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.