Vancouver
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello, I have recently moved (October) and have acquired an underground 60,500 litre pool in Vancouver, BC. I'm a complete newbie trying to get my pool legs. A water reading from a local games store has recommended adding 133 kg of salt directly to the pool with the pump running. I'd unplugged the SWG over winter months and it remains unplugged; using a floater with chlorine pucks and am ready to get back to salt water. Salt reading was 1200 and ideal is 3400.

1)Can I add all of the salt at once or should it be spaced out? I understand that it should circulate 24 hours before plugging the SWG back in. And should I keep the chlorine floater in until I've officially turned on the salt water generator cell?

2) My CYA reading was 47 with 60-200 being the ideal. I bought SaltScapes Sunshield Stabilizer - should I wait until the salt has dispersed in the pool/ generator turned back on or can I proceed to add this stuff right away?

I look forward to learning how to manage my pool with confidence!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1) You can add as much as you want all at the same time. I might hold back a couple bags just so you do not get too high. Yes, then brush a bit and circulate for a day and then see what salt level your SWG is telling you ... that is what matters. You certainly want to keep some chlorine in the water.

2) Do not listen to what the pool store is telling you as far as "ideal" ranges. I think they are only ideal to their profit lines. Take a look at Water Balance for SWGs. We recommend a CYA level between 70-80ppm (up there you might be on the lower end) to protect the FC from the sun and NEVER do you want it up above 100ppm. You can dissolve the CYA in a sock (either in the skimmer or hanging in front of a jet) at the same time as the salt ... assuming you trust the pool store test (which we at TFP definitely do NOT)

You are limited in your options up there, but I highly recommend you invest in the Taylor K-2006 test kit if you want to take control of your pool. Adding the Taylor salt test would be good too.

Thank you! So it's been 24 hours of my pool circulating 100kg of pool salt. I plugged the SWG back in and the reading still showed a reading of "1200 - low salt" and eventually the panel showed that the generator had shut off and to test salt levels. Help! Shouldn't the number have increased from what I added? I still have 33kg of salt required to add according to the store. Shouldn't some sort of salt progress have been made? (Edit: I added 100kg of salt)

I added a couple pics - one of the panel and one of the heater/ filter. Not sure if this is helpful.IMG_2246.JPGIMG_2244.jpg

Thanks for the kit recommendations; I will look into those asap.

Yes, I would have expected the salt level to change, how long have you had the SWG turned on with the pump running?

Have you had the cell tested at the pool store to verify it is working?

The SWG was on for a couple minutes only and then auto shut off. I haven't had the unit tested - didn't know this was an option but will look into that. Is there any chance that I need to reset the panel or clear out the orange service light?

I don't think there is any setting to reset. Periodically you will get a check cell light which is just based on a timer that can be reset but I can't remember off hand how to do that.

You're probably looking at the average salt reading. You have to go to "Diagnostics" to see the instant salt level. Diagnostics will show Instant salt, Volts, Amps and Temperature. Then you press the right arrow to get instant salt by itself. The display will say instant salt press + to reset. Press + to reset the average to the instant.

The SWG was on for a couple minutes only and then auto shut off. I haven't had the unit tested - didn't know this was an option but will look into that. Is there any chance that I need to reset the panel or clear out the orange service light?

Also keep in mind that SWG's only work when the water temps are above 60 for some and 70 for others. Please check your water temp and let us know what it is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.