Tree removal soon, leave mesh cover on closed pool?

kcindc

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 2, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I have been removing several mature tulip poplar trees every year since I purchased my house a few years ago. Tulip poplars are the largest trees east of the Mississippi. I finally bit the bullet and will be removing about 15 mature tulip poplars. Several of these trees overhang the pool and pool equipment.

My pool is closed and I will be opening soon, but have been waiting because are still getting freezing temps and several nights in the coming week will be in the 20s. I really hate my area when it comes to open/close. I know I will have a green monster since we've had a mild winter and weird spring with alternating freezing temps and highs in the 80s.

I do plan to replace it the cover in the next 1-2 years. I haven't replaced my cover because the overhanging trees constantly drop large limbs which increase the number of holes.

I can't tell you how excited I am to finally get rid of these trees. I skim off about 15 gallons of tree debris a day and sometimes much more whenever these trees bloom. I had been turning off my equipment when I go on vacation because the amount of debris ruined one pump (asked someone to skim and empty the skimmers twice a day). They missed a day or so and my pump burnt up. So, I turn off the pump when I leave because it is been cheaper to clean a swamp vs replace my motor.

My question is this, should I keep the old, thin, dry rotten, already torn in multiple places, mesh cover on the pool until after trees are removed in the next two weeks? Tree removal will dump an enormous amount of debris in the pool if the cover is taken off, but I also don't want more holes in cover since I want to try to get one more year of use.

Here is an 8 foot tall stump from a massive 250+ year old tulip poplar that I have already moved... the cost to remove the lower 8' was astronomical, so I left it.

20150106_143700.jpg

Last edited:
hmmmmm, If the cover is on it will cut down on the amount of debris but you already know there is a chance of it getting ruined... This is a coin toss moment :) If it were me in that situation I would probably take it off and use a good net to sweep the pool of debris..

I had to take out three queen palms and two winters prior, had to have dead fronds removed from those palms, plus two others (all five palms were within 10 feet of the pool edge). The tree removal company covered the pool with an, "A-Frame" tarp (they rigged this) to slough the debris onto the sides of the pool. It worked like a charm so perhaps you can remove your cover and have the tree removal folks tarp your pool. I had almost nothing in the pool following.

My pool is massive 20'X40' so I doubt tarping is an option. We are talking multiple tractor trailers full of wood and a probably just as much stuff that would be run through their chipper.

I'd leave it on. If you don't think it will survive the tree removal then I would buy the cheapest solid cover you can and lay it over the mesh cover the night before they start work. Get some water bags, no need to cover every foot of the perimeter, just want to hold it in place for a short time. Once they are done pull the solid cover off and you're back at square one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.