Installed the Pool Pilot ….. finally

spriteman

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
central Florida
For various reasons I was unable to install an SWG last year, however my goal for this spring was to “get’er done”. I had posted several questions about a year ago regarding location alternatives of the manifold/cell assembly in my pool set-up. Poolsean, Strannik, JasonLion and others responded with some good advice.

A link to that old thread is here

I ended up putting the manifold where the old puck chlorinator was located. PoolSean had suggested (if space was tight) I could install the manifold at a 90 degree angle to the horizontal and still be golden, but something about that looked ‘funky’ to me. So, I went with a traditional horizontal install -- it required I sacrifice one of my 18 year old Jandy valves, but I think I would have had to do that anyway. On the plus side -- I put in one of the black Jandy Never-Lube valves. No more grease cap!

I’d like to thank Sean, Jason and others for their insight and a big thanks to Josh at SaltPoolGuys.com for getting me the TFP Supporter price on a Pool Pilot and fast turn around (3 days to my front doorstep). I’m sure I’ll have more questions as time goes by -- so it’s nice to know there is a place to come to for support.

Also, if anyone out there is thinking of doing a DIY install – it’s not that hard. The best advice I can give is visualize where your final PVC/plumbing connection is going to be and how it’s going to connect. Remember, 1.5-2 inch pvc doesn’t “give” very much (hint, hint) -- so it’s possible to back yourself into a corner if you don’t think it through. Oh, and if you’re a novice to PVC and gluing it all up, take a look at this sites video – it has a good step-by-step using PVC adhesive

One issue that I have right now with the Pool Pilot is an occasional ‘check system’ light. It comes on (infrequently) when the cell is in the ‘On’ state. It occurs at the beginning of the cell energized cycle for 15 to 20 seconds. The message is

Warning! Low Amps – Cell?

I’ve only seen the message appear briefly twice -- the second time I was able to read the voltage and current. They were: 13v and 2.8 amps.

Purification level is currently at Power Level 1 and 10%. This has been holding my Cl in the 5-6 ppm range for the past week with little/no bather load.

During normal operation (no Check System light) in Test Pool Pilot mode in the service menu my voltage and current are 17v 5.0 amps (sometimes 4.9 amps) whether the cell is ‘On’ or ‘Off’. I did a Force Reverse and the display indicated that polarity reversed properly. voltage and current were the same as above – 17v and 5 amps (sometimes 4.9 amps).

I have the Pool Pilot connected to an external timer and I verified with a meter that the Load connections to my pool pump motor were definitely 220v prior to installing everything. I didn’t change any jumpers on the control box prior to install as the Pool Pilot manual states it comes from the factory supporting 220v.

One thing that is a little high is my salt content (4000 ppm) -- I added too much salt when I first brought the pool online with the new SWG.

My current numbers are as follows (using a Taylor K2006):

FC: 5
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 80
CH: 400
CYA: 70
Temp: 77
Salt: 4000

I have two questions (Finally! -- he says :-D ):

1) is it normal for the voltage and current to be the same when the cell is energized and when it’s not energized? Off hand, I would expect these to change when the cell is ‘On’ vs ‘Off’

2) since the ‘Check System’ light only comes on (when it does come on) right at the beginning of the ‘On’ cycle, is this indicating that the cell voltage and current are ‘ramping’ up over the course of 15 – 20 seconds? If so, why don’t I get a light every time the cell is activated? Is the high salt content a factor?

Attachments

• plumb_orig.jpg
    plumb_orig.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 180
  • plumb_swg.jpg
    plumb_swg.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 181
  • control_swg.jpg
    control_swg.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 180
I'm sure that Poolsean will give you a definitive answer shortly, but I wouldn't worry about the occasional ‘check system’ light. My guess is that voltage and current readings are a from cpu register, held when the "cell is off," and it catches the initial surge into the cell as a voltage drop/current increase level that momentarily activates the 'check system' light. Once power stabilizes, light goes out.

Great Job :goodjob: on the install! Looks like a Pro did it! Good link on the PVC, too!

thanks for the Kudos! yeh, I know what you mean about the filter inlet/outlet plumbing -- my intent is to wait until the pump needs replacing, then re-plumb that whole area. I believe the previous owner originally had a DE filter. when they swapped it out for the Hayward, they probably just did whatever was the least labor intensive.

Nice Installation!

You're on the right track. As the system is first energized, it ramps up the power and may display the Low Amp error as it's increasing the power to the cell.
Once it's energized, there's a memory to recall the previous cell amps and volt settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.