Drop in TA! And a Dumb Question!

Hello Everyone,

Today i tested the pool water. My TA has dropped to 70. Over the course of the year, this this is the first time TA has dropped below 90. I try to keep it around 100. What are the reasons for the drop in TA? Is it some sort of a warning sign? Or am i overthinking it and its normal?

Do you add acid to keep pH in check? Continual acid additions will slowly reduce the TA.

Now, why 100 for TA? Most of us find pH more stable with the TA a little lower. I keep mine in the 50 - 60 range.

How much rain have you gotten since the last time you tested TA? Rainwater should have none. That will dilute the TA.

Also, aeration caused by rain can cause pH to rise. When you lower pH with acid, you also lower TA. Check out Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath. It will show you how much TA will drop when you add a certain amount of acid.

Well 90-120 was something that was written on the Taylor kit if remember it right. That's why i maintained it around 100. There was one ugly round of rain about 1.5 weeks ago, it lasted around a 2-3 hours, but did more damage than previous 9 months of heavy rain. Completely messed up my clean pool. Still running the pool robot to get it clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.