Help!!......Where is the leak!?!?

I have a leak that I can't figure out.

Spa water level dropping at around 2" in 24 hrs.
Size of spa is approx. 8 ft. dia. and 4 ft. deep.

Pump is off and multi-port valve is in "filter" position.
I have replaced the spider gasket but didn't help...... much, as the problem isn't completely solved.
Before I replaced it, I could place my ear against the pipe leading to the heater and hear the water "flowing", "trickling", or something like that.
oh I also replaced the check valve too.

I did a little test, marking the level of the pool and the level of the spa.
the spa dropped in level but the pool did not so something is wrong in the spa.

Whatcha think?

Do the spa and the pool share the same water?

When the spa goes down, does the pool level rise? Consider the relative surface area of each and do the math. In my pool, 2" in the spa is only about 1/4" in the pool. I know, because my spa is at the same elevation as my pool. When the pump is off, it siphons down and the two are at the same level in the morning. Once it's pumping, the spa raises far higher than the middle of the pool skimmer and starts spilling and the pool level drops.

If the pool is elevated, then it's most likely a bad check valve. Scroll waaaay down on Pool School - Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment and see if you have anything in your plumbing that resembles the images of check valves. Some are rebuildable.

Have you been able to eliminate check valves as the source of your leakage? Is your spa elevated in relation to the pool?
yes, it is elevated....about 1 ft. or so.
my pool/spa is 12 years old.
I presumed that the original check valve was bad and wasn't sealing, so I replaced it with a new one. Didn't help.

- - - Updated - - -

Do the spa and the pool share the same water?
Yes.

Are there check valves on both sides of the spa plumbing? If your drains are teed at a three way valve, if that valve leaks, it can still siphon down. Again: When the spa goes down, does the pool level rise? That is a key point. That will tell you whether the water is leaking into the pool or into the ground somewhere.

yes, it is elevated....about 1 ft. or so.
my pool/spa is 12 years old.
I presumed that the original check valve was bad and wasn't sealing, so I replaced it with a new one. Didn't help.

I can imagine that the missing 2" of spa water might not be very easy to see in terms of rising pool level, so maybe you need a bit more time for the leak. My spa is elevated by 18"....when my check valves have failed, water level in spa drops to equilibrate with water level in pool. I am not able to see this "extra" water in the pool.

Are you sure you only have 1 check valve?

Can you let the spa drop down to its final resting level? This might give you a clue as to what could be leaking.

Are there check valves on both sides of the spa plumbing? If your drains are teed at a three way valve, if that valve leaks, it can still siphon down. Again: When the spa goes down, does the pool level rise? That is a key point. That will tell you whether the water is leaking into the pool or into the ground somewhere.

ok..........keeping a close eye on this,
the spa is going down and the pool level is rising ever so slightly, so it seems like it could be a valve, right?

ok..........keeping a close eye on this,
the spa is going down and the pool level is rising ever so slightly, so it seems like it could be a valve, right?

Yep. Somewhere the two bodies of water meet and that's the path the water takes. If you have the three-way valves turned to isolate the spa, it should stop leaking down. If it persists, then one of the 3-way valves leak. If it stops, then one of the check valves is leaking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.