Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
The guy who's doing my plaster job called me and said he will be here Tuesday (tomorrow) to drain the pool, Wednesday to prep it, and hopefully finish plastering Thursday or Friday. So now it begins for me, and I am a bit nervous. Just want to be sure I get it right, after reading the other thread concerning a plaster bicarb set up, I feel pretty good about it.

I have my TF100 kit, and bought some extra R-0009

I have on hand 4 gallons of MA I bought from Lowe's, the stronger stuff. I intend on picking up more based on the last thread I was reading.

I bought 10 pounds of CYA just to have what I needed when the time comes to add it.

Bought a new brush & pole and have that on hand.

I have two brand-new filter elements to put in my filter after the pool is refilled.

Bought a 5 pound container of Clorox active 99 Trichloro-s-triazinetrilne tablets from Lowe's. I'm guessing this is the right product? Also bought a floater to place them in.

I will need to pick up some Clorox, any idea how much I should grab? Also best deal is probably going to be like at a Walmart?

Still don't know exact size of pool, I will fill up some known quantities and timed them with fill hoses. I am guessing it is around 16K.

No SWG, although I intend on adding one soon. Not sure if my sig gives my pool information when using the iPhone.

Plan on taping 2 Litre pop bottles to hopefully three hoses when filling the pool to keep the hoses off the bottom.

Fill water this AM from the well water is as follows;

PH - 7.2
CH - ~300
TA - 350
TDS - 500 (from two diff pool stores)
Copper/Iron - 0 (from pool store and Culligan)
Phosphates - 0 (from pool store)

On the CH I say around 300 because I brought two samples of water to two different pool stores this morning just so I have something to compare my tests to, one of them got 400, one of them got 270, I got 350 doing it myself.
Same water sample, can't believe there's that much difference between them. All the other tests were relatively close to what I got.

My plan is after the plaster is done:
Wait six hours to start filling the pool.

Add a sequestering agent just for safety.

Run pump 24-7.

Keep pH below 8.

Brush at least once daily.

Questions:

How long do I wait to add some kind of sanitizer, and what PPM should I shoot for?

How long do I wait to add CYA?

How often do I need to test pH once water filled, 2 to 3 times a day?

Do the tabs I bought have CYA in them? I know they usually do, but did not know if this was a new type of tablet or not.

Again, I hope from reading I am prepared but if you have any suggestions or comments please add...I want all the help I can get with this project. I am sure I am forgetting something obvious. Thanks
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure someone else will be along to help answer all of your questions. I do have some advice, do not put the hoses in the pool. I wrap my hoses around itself, keep the metal part in the air... not touching anything, and let the water fall into the pool. You can also put something heavy on the hose to keep it from moving.

Yes, the trichlor tabs have CYA. Use pool math to determine how much CYA is in each tab. Put in the size of the pucks (ounces) in the section "Effects of adding chemicals".
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

So if I'm understanding no part of the hose whatsoever goes in the pool? Just coil them up on the side and let the waterfall, or do you coil them on the floor in the pool? I just want to be sure I'm clear. Thx

You are certainly on the right track with what you have planned.

Add the tricolor pucks on the 2nd day after the pool is full. Initially one puck per 10,000 gallons and then after about a week, step it up to 2 pucks per 10,000 gallons.

Because your TA and CH are already very high, you will need to maintain a pH of 7.5-7.6 until the TA drops to the low/mid 200's. You will be going through many many gallons of acid for this process and expect your pH to rise quickly.

The tricolor tabs absolutely have CYA in them.

You can add CYA as soon as you feel you are ready tackle more more testing. There really isn't a whole lot of difference.

The hoses can with float like you are suggesting or maneuver them in a way so that the end of the hose is just a few inches from the surface and smoothly flows into the pool. Prevent the water from hitting the plaster with any kind of velocity.

They drained the pool tonight, surprised how much settlement was on the bottom. Prep tomorrow, hopefully plaster Thursday or Friday depending on wind.

Here is a picture of it with it prepped, this is the material the plaster will bond to. It will be windy tomorrow, so Friday the plaster goes on. I talked to the main guy, he is fine waiting six hours to add water. He did tell me if it was really hot outside he would not like to do that. Temperatures are in the mid-70s for highs and 50s for low, so should be perfect weather for this.

129dd7a9f84a39b2486a4245fa959d14.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's nice to know, I will keep using pucks.... my only question is if it takes too long maybe I should add some CYA So I don't lose chlorine rapidly to sunlight? I did buy 10 pounds of CYA off of eBay, but I guess I can always use it later. I figured out that my fill hoses combined will fill at 12.8 gallons per minute, so hopefully I'll have an idea of the capacity of this pool soon.

I noticed today what appears to be some small areas of water seeping through the bond coat. This is the same picture, one just zoomed up a bit. Is this anything to be concerned about, or will the plaster the seal this up. It's been sitting since yesterday afternoon, and the plaster is going on tomorrow morning. I guess I'm just paranoid about structure damage? Hoping this is not too abnormal.
916e5cc3871c48a37dc1d8f473aaf00a.jpg
f4967c9d098e2cc78812ed2a118a27ac.jpg

Whew........ Thank you for that answer....... [emoji106][emoji28]

I hate to say it, but he showed me colors and they were named 0 to 10, 10 being the darkest, I chose 4. LOL I will see if I can get an actual color name. I love the looks of it, hopefully once full even nicer. He did show me some pictures and I loved this color especially when I thought about it with my tile and surroundings. Here it is all done waiting for water.
9d057ddb75908df38b984d5c76de8901.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.