hopeful owner builder in socal

mccj

May 2, 2009
Hello. I'm hoping to get started with an owner builder pool in the next few weeks. This looks like a great site for a do it yourselfer like me. I had a service and repair co. of my own about 10 years ago, but no pool building experience. I have subs ready to go but need to research the latest equipment and hopefully get some info about things pool owners would have done or done differently. I am on a limited budget which is why I am taking on this potentially high stress project. Thanks, Mike.

Mike,

Welcome and hello! I went the owner/builder route myself and had a few butterflies when I first broke ground. It all turned out well and I'm supremely happy that I controlled this operation. All I can say for advice is make sure you really really educate yourself on all the fine points and ask a TON of questions here. Scour all the build posts here. Save pictures, make drawings and revise them. You can check my build in the link in my signature. I still need to update a few final pics with the landscaping completed, but the basic pool build came out great. I know every piece of material and workmanship that went into this build. I was able to go with all the best materials and equipment because I saved so much cash on the PB. The key to it all is planning planning planning. It's all made of concrete. Not much room for errors...

I will say, it was ALOT of work on my part even though I sub-ed out all the big parts of the job. All of the in between stuff really adds up. It consumed most all of my free time for the last year. I just didn't think the extra 30-40K that this would have cost me from a PB was worth it. And...I don't have any kind of warranty, it's all on me. But the pool has been up and running for almost a year and everything is running great. No leaks, efficient plumbing routes, good circulation, low operating costs. Maybe I got lucky, but I was hiring and closely overseeing the samesubs that the local PB's hire.

Feel free to ask questions or PM me. I have alot of extra pictures of various parts of the build and might be able to point you in the right direction with a few things. Here's my disclaimer though...I was and still am an amateur pool guy. Take advice at your own risk...heh. There are a few pool professionals that hang out here at TFP that will have some really good advice too.

Good Luck! Remember...plan plan plan!

Jim

Hi Mike and welcome to TFP :wave:

As you have already learned, there is a ton of info here for you and lots of members interested in following your build.

There is simply no substitute for experience and the info from Belldiver is among the priceless. His build was documented and has tons of info. :goodjob:

We are glad to have you as a new member of TFP and look forward to watching your build.

Please feel free to ask all your pool build questions. Hope you have an easy build. :-D

Mike, welcome to TFP!!

I've built a couple of pools in the last 20 years :roll: and will happily answer any questions you come up with as your pool build progresses. I think Belldiver may end up being your best resource here, as he has recently been the GC for his pool build, but if you need or want the advice of someone who's been in the trenches throwing a pool together - I'll tell you what I know :)

I hope your construction goes smoothly and your pool gets completed soon, so you can start enjoying it :goodjob: