What do you use to shield Stenner tank from the sun?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
Soon I'm going to install a Stenner auto feed system with the grey 15 gallon Stenner tank. The equipment pad gets primarily morning sun. Some people have said they used a trash can to shield from direct sun. I was planning on buying a light colored trash can and leaving the top open or turn it upside down and louver the top. However, I can't find and light colors anymore....seems they're all black or gray, which will just absorb the heat.....I know I can build something, but I'd rather not spend the time if there are better ideas out there....and suggestions?

Short of building something that looks nice, you might be able to find an end table (outdoor furniture) that is waterproof and do the job. I am not sure how nice that would look, however.

Thanks for the responses....I guess I just assumed a black/gray can would heat up excessively, but I'll give one a try...and paint it a light color if it doesn't work. I like the light gray one, but between the cost and shipping, it's getting very expensive for a trash can.

Thanks for the responses....I guess I just assumed a black/gray can would heat up excessively, but I'll give one a try...and paint it a light color if it doesn't work. I like the light gray one, but between the cost and shipping, it's getting very expensive for a trash can.
You can pick up a Rubbermaid trash can at Lowes or Home Depot. Why pay shipping?

I am burying my tank to keep it cool. I need to finish the install with some insulation around the upper 2' of the tank and then backfill with gravel and sand. I'll finish it off with some sort of cover to keep rain out. I'm hoping to keep the average temp of the contents below 70° F. I'll run the Stenner tubing inside a flex duct or PVC that is clamped to the pad to keep it out of harms way. I paid $35 locally for the HDPE drum, $10 for some rigid foam board, and $100 for my gardener to dig the hole.

That said, containing the tank in a trash can is easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 135

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could go nutz...

DSC01212.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01200.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC01205.jpg

DSC01208.jpg
[/IMG]

Mine was some kind of weatherbeaten deck box from suncast. It was sunbaked and gray. I cut the bottom out of it, since the tank would crush the old plastic bottom. It sits directly on a piece of thick travertine. I primed it and then painted it with latex house paint to match my house. The lid works nicely. I dremeled a hole for the outlet tubing.

level control tie in.jpg

I just built an enclousure out of thin plywood and painted it with outdoors type paint. Simple and effective. Painted it with white paint for reflection. It keeps the tank cool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.