What size sand filter , 40k gallon pool

BIG!!! :mrgreen:

My little calculator that I use suggests a minimum of 36" diameter (not sure how much sand that is). You could get by with smaller and just have to backwash more often.

I'll be the echo chamber here and say: "Yep! 36" sand filter would be a great size for your pool." Make sure you have room on your pad for it. I was going to go for a 36 inch when I replaced mine, but there wasn't room to sandwich it in between my heater and pump.

They won't be overkill for a pool that large. You'll likely only have to backwash every 3 months, maybe not even that often if you consistently maintain good water chemistry and don't have a lot of dirt, pollen, etc. going in your pool.

You'll be happy with a side mounted valve set up. They're more reliable over the long term than a top mounted valve (like mine). It should come with a multiport valve (MPV), in either 1.5" fittings or 2" fittings. Get the option that matches your plumbing for the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.