Pool has leak and pending replaster - what chemicals should I focus on ?

Silver_2000

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 29, 2015
Carrollton tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all

My new pool has some issues
The plaster is shot and Im near a decision on the plaster and marker tile choices - Hope to have replaster done in 30 days
The pool is leaking water as well
It has an auto fill so I didint notice the leak, till the water bill which was 11k gallons for 2 of us with no sprinkler use - typical usage would be under 4k
Bucket test showed almost 1/2 inch loss per day
The leak explained why I had trouble keeping the salt level up and why the pool has zero CYA

I had a leak guy come and test for leaks in the lines and dive the pool and check for leaks in the pool itself with dye.

He found no leaks in the lines but found both skimmers leaking and a leak around one of the suctions for the swim jet

I paid him a total of about $1k for the leak check and the skimmer repairs with the suction leak to be addressed at the replaster

Unfortunately the pool is still leaking - doesn't seem to have slowed much if any - seems like wasted $$
So while I wait for the replaster and the water temps are too low for swimming
to avoid wasting $ on chemicals that will be drained when the plaster is done which of the tests should I focus on ?
I understand the chlorine level will keep the water clear - Ill do that
But Im not running the SWG because the salt level just keeps dropping
I tried adding Stabilizer to get CYA up but its also gets washed away
The readings as of this morning were
FC 1.5
CC 0
CH 150
TA 50
PH 7.5 - 7.6 ish
Salt cell is off - the aqualink shows 1000 ppm - i haven't added any in months

BTW with the leaves and stuff dropping from trees the water lost a little clarity - I tested the w K-1000 and it said I had almost no chlorine so I added about 24 oz of CCH powder per pool math - The next day the chlorine was up but not up to 3 so I added 16 oz more and thats what got the chlorine to today's readings. SO either the CCH powder has lost some oomph or the pool is using the chlorine

Im using the CCH powder and trichlor pucks the seller left as source of chlorine
Ive used a little bleach as well just to understand how why etc

Im most interested in NOT damaging the equipment while I wait for the replaster

Also interested in idea - techniques - suggestions for leak abatement ideas while the pool is empty for replaster
Ive informed Romos plaster that I have leaks and want them to address what they can

Sounds like you're just buying time right now until the plaster work can get done huh? So what to focus on? Well, you still don't want an algae mess, but you will continue to lose FC very quickly without CYA - especially if we keep having beautiful TX days like today. With constant water exchange, you might just be better-off using some tablets along with liquid bleach in an effort to keep some CYA (20-30) and FC simultaneously in the 3-5 range. Cal-Hypo won't hurt either since your CH is a little low - again, probably from the water exchange/leaking. Your pH is fine for now, but constant use of pucks might lower the pH a bit, so keep an eye on that. During this awkward waiting game, I would just encourage you to stay close to the Poolmath Calculator and use any of the products you have available to meet the TFP Recommended Levels as best as you can. Hopefully you can get those repairs completed soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.