Green Monster

Mar 16, 2016
Chesapeake, va
New to TFP. Here's the background. We've had the pool for two seasons. The first season was great. Once the pool builder set everything up it was nearly trouble free. The second year was not so good. I would have the water tested at the pool store every now and then. I always felt that spending $75 every time I walked in was a waste. I never tested the water my self and didn't know what to look for even if I did. I got fed-up with it at the end of last season and just switched the breaker to off and walked away. It's been sitting since the end of last Sept without any attention. I have since read the pool school a few times and am getting a better idea of how it's suppose to work. I received the TF-100 test kit on Friday and ran all the tests with the following results. From what I have read on the forums I need to get the PH and TA correct before I start the slam. It seems that they are within range now so I plan on starting the slam next weekend. I ordered a 55 gal barrel of 12.5% bleach and I'm hoping that will do it. Since the water temp is only 60 I was planning on treating it like a standard pool and not a SWG? The cell is removed, once it warms up I was going to put the cell back in and get the salt back up to the correct limit. I would imagine that I will be vacuuming to waste a bunch of times and I don't want to pump all the salt out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm filling from a well.

PH= 7.3 (after 2 gal of Muriatic Acid)
TA=90
CYA=60 (at room temp)
CH+ 125/150
CDT=0

I agree, go off of the non-SWG portion of the Chlorine/CYA Chart. Your pH is good to begin the SLAM. I wouldn't wait though. Start it now. CYA of 60 = SLAM/Shock FC level of 24. Vacuuming to waste - perhaps. Not necessarily every time though. Might depend on the amount of muck and physical debris in your pool. Filling from a well huh? Do you know if you have metals in the well water? Not a big deal at the moment since you have to raise the FC for the SLAM, but afterwards may be important if you use sequestrants. Something to let us know later.

Great job getting that TF-100! You have the right tool for the job. No time like the present. Good luck!

Welcome! :wave:

A few pointers...

Once the drum arrives, recheck pH and adjust it down to 7.2 if it has risen. Once pH is set, hit it with the bleach.

If your filter has a multiport valve, you could set it to recirculate for the first couple days so it doesn't clog up every two hours. Then you vacuum to waste, and then you start filtering. If you don't have a multiport, go buy a bag of DE or cellulose now, because you will be needing it. Tempting as it may be, you don't want to run the filter without filter media in it. The screens will clog and be ruined. They are only there to provide support for the powder, they aren't supposed to do any filtering.

Also, make sure you have Motrin on hand. Frequent brushing can lead to sore back and shoulders.

Wear old clothes any time you're doing anything around the pool. Unless you like polkadots.

Take pictures. If you pick one good spot, like right above the steps, and take a picture in the same spot every day, you'll see improvements. And you can show off.

Some Inspiration. Most recent are last. Recovering my old inspirational links

You got this Red! You have all of the tools you need-TFP membership, good test kit and a willingness to learn and do!

I agree with the others..........get the SLAM started NOW..........Even if you can only test 4 times a day at least you will be days ahead of the game.

Testing schedule-after first cup of coffee, when you get home, after dinner, before bed.

Please take and share your first picture...........and all others that follow. We LOVE to watch a good green to clean!

Kim

Here are some pictures of the pool today. The 55 gal drum arrived today. I'm going to double check the PH in the morning and adjust if needed. I'll start the slam when I get home from work. I have to pick up a pump to get the bleach out of the drum. More pictures to follow.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Attachments

• 20160402_180520.jpg
    20160402_180520.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20160402_180507.jpg
    20160402_180507.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20160402_180454.jpg
    20160402_180454.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 82
I think you are definitely good with 55 gallons of 12.5%!! Mine looked as bad as yours and I will probably finish up around 15 gallons of 8.25% (smaller pool but same shock level). Just curious where you got the drum from? Also some of the pros might be able to chime in here, but I am of the understanding that chlorine starts losing it's potency with time so just wondering if bulk bleach is a good idea in general. Post some update pics as you start slamming, good luck!

Keep that drum in a cool n dark place n it should last you awhile.

Thats a pretty big pool too. I like it!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have to say this IS the first time I have seen/heard of anyone getting one. I think the size would do me in for something like that. I have a hard enough time with my 2.5 gal jugs LOL.

Make sure to keep is shaded and cool. We don't want it to turn into a big tub of salt water!

Kim

Good luck to you, Red. You're definitely in good hands and it seems like you definitely have all of your ducks in a row. This'll be a piece of cake.
thumbsup.gif

I got home from work and moved the 55 gal drum to a dark place in the garage. I added 6 gallons of 12.5% bleach at 5pm. I didn't get the chance to stay around and check the bleach level until I got home at 10pm. It was at FC 19, CC2, TC21. Pool math said to put in another gallon to raise it back up to FC24. It's hard to tell since it's dark out, but the water looks less green. I'll recheck everything in the morning before I head off to work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 56
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.