Pump sounds funny

Mar 19, 2016
Thomasville
I have had a ton of pollen pods and flower petals falling in my pool and it has filled my skinner basket multiple times. After it has been filling up like this I noticed yesterday my pump was acting funny I have been emptying out the basket all throughout the day. I went to backwash it and it is usually a really strong jet of water that comes out. This time it had a lot less pressure. Still was running fine and everything. This morning I went out emptied the basket and then turned pump onto backeash. Pump starting making a really word noise. Almost like a high pitch whine. Still lower pressure again. Then I took the lid off of my pump and emptied the skimmer basket out of that one. I let the water just run out of it in case something had gotten stuck. Put lid back on turned pump on backwash and it fixed the pressure problem but not the noise. Has it maybe just been overworked and needs a break? I have ran it 24/7 for about 2 to 3 weeks now because my pool was a swamp. Any ideas? I have it totally tuned off now.

54 inch by 27 foot round above ground pool.

A high pitch whine is usually bearings. If that is the cause, they will soon fail and so will the motor.

It could also be something stuck in the impeller but if you are sure you cleared everything out, it is probably the bearings.

It's still under warranty and not even a year old yet so I should probably just get a replacement then? What causes the bearings to go bad? Is there a way to prevent this in the future

So are you sure you cleared everything from the impeller?

Bearings should not go bad that soon so I suspect there is still something stuck in the impeller.

50467adcc90fb2080eb61d7480be2291.jpg
caa96c8ad9926dbaa89f3693a11b3a69.jpg
e2278e7735c1c43f7ee6dff4b6237ef1.jpg
here is the pictures of my pump and sand filter set up. I got this pump in July I believe of last year 2015. Maybe august. I don't have a shutoff valve to turn the water off which I have no clue why. So when I take the lid off of my pump the water spews everywhere so I take the basket out clean that and I stuck my hand in the pump and didn't feel anything else. I also checked where the hoses go too just to make sure l. What is an impeller? And how do I check that? Also if I take my pump off how can I get the water to flowing out of my pool since I don't have a shut off valve with this pool?

You really should have some valves on both the suction and return lines so you can shut off the flow. It will be very difficult to work on your equipment without that so I would get that squared away before attempting any repairs.

The impeller is on the inside of the pump. At the bottom of the pump basket is there is a large hole which is the impeller inlet. You can sometimes reach the impeller through this hole. Otherwise you have to take apart the pump to get to the impeller.

We will take this one step at a time:

Step one-find a way to stop the water from leaving the pool while you work on the equipment. Long term=valves, short term=tennis ball in skimmer and a potato in the return (yes a potato LOL carved so it fits in the return without being pulled in).

Step two-Find your pump manual to see how to find and get to your impeller. I bet there is something in there that is blocking the flow through it. PLEASE make sure the power is off at the breaker!

Let us know how it goes.

Kim

Hey Kim thank you for telling me how to shut off redneck style LOL :) that helped tremendously and mas985 thank you for the details on what I should be looking for I worked on this last night and finally I am good to go I did have something stuck it was a gumball the pressure Guage is now reading like it should it was showing 0 before and I never had seen it like that before. Also on the subject of valves is this not standard for a pool company to install? Is this like request only? Before I got this above ground pool it is a permanent one metal I had an intex pool and it had a shut off valve so I figured that this brand new permanent one would be no different boy was I wrong. For me to get valves put how does that work do I just call the place that installed it and they just redo the piping or something?

Hey at least it worked! LOL "Honey can you pick up a potato and tennis ball on the way home for the pool?" LOL

I would hard plumb the pipes and include valves and unions (makes it so you can work on the equipment without having to cut the pipes).

I hope someone chimes in on what kind of PVC to use. I am having a brain fart on what it is called or numbered.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.