Pool is green top to bottom

Apr 2, 2016
Phoenix
I have owned a pool for 25 years and have had minimal problems until about 2 years ago when it just seem i couldn't say ahead of the algae. Yesterday after reading a post on this web page I realized that I had forgotten the critical steep of cleaning my sand filter. I opened it up and found the bottom covered with little tree leaves. The leases are small enough to get sucked through the pump filter. I cleaned out the leaves. and stured the sand as suggested in the channeling thread. I started down this path because the pressure keep dropping to near zero. Like i said in the title currently my pool looks green from top to bottom.
The ph is 7.2 and the chlorine is +5 pmm. shocked.
I made sure the impeller is clean. Now the pressure stays at a steady 10 psi it doesn't go up even after 12 hours of continues running. When I backwash the water stays clear. I check the water coming out of the aerator and it dose not appear to be any cleaner than the water in the pool.
At this point in time I am at a complete loss. The only thing I haven't tried is adding the DE to the pool filter. This probably will help but I feel that there is something I am missing that is systemically wrong (the filter dose not appear to be cleaning the pool).

PS
I just want to clean the skimmer basket. I pulled the valve from the bottom. The pump does not appear to be pulling as much water as it used to. First in the past when I pull the valve is was much harder to get up. Second in the past with the valve removed and the pump running the pump was able to draw so much water out of the basket area that it would start sucking air. Now the basket area stays full of water.

Any chance the multiport valve is set on recirculate instead of filter? No dribbles out the waste port indicating the spider gasket could be bad? Everything got reassenbled properly after you did the deep cleaning? It sure does sound like the filter isn't filtering. With green water, it should be loading up and the pressure should be climbing rapidly.

Well, there is a lot of guesswork here but it sounds like you have a restriction between the pump and the skimmer. Something seems to be slowing the flow to the pump.

Is there air or bubbles in the pump basket?

What does the flow going into the pool feel like? Normal?

What is your psi? What is it normally?

"i pulled the valve from the bottom" What valve? There are no valves on the skimmer basket so I am confused on that part.

Thanks for the reply Sam.
1. Multiport don't have one. Only options are filter and backwash.
2. Yes every thing was reassembled correctly. The problem got slightly better after deep clean.
3. I agree the pressure aught to be climbing rapidly but if anything after a couple of hours it appears to go down a pound or two. I am at a complete loss here. you got any suggestions.

I have already spent a lot of money trying clear up this problem and don't want to guess any more about what to do any one have any ideas about what is going on here.

AZ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.