Borates!!

Darren35

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2014
Evansville, IN
Ok, so last year I followed the TFP method to the letter. Great experience so this year I decided to step up my game and use DE, a skimmer sock, and BORIC ACID. I elected to go the easy route and ordered 50 lbs from Duda diesel. This is where my problem began. I estimated that I would need 30lbs to take borates to approx 50 ppm. But, I accidentally dumped almost the entire bucket in the pool.

I bought the strips and of course it tested at at least 80 and maybe 100. We have had a bunch of rain so I know the Ppm will continue to go down. Yesterday, it tested out at 80ppm. I cannot get my TA in line. Last week the TA was 160 so I used pool math and added 80ozs of Muriatc acid. TA went to 120 and I started aerating. All week my PH resisted increasing but today it registered 7.5 finally. My TA, however was 160 again. I added MA to decrease PH back to 7.0 and am now aerating again.

Am I just wasting MA due to high borates? Will TA continue to increase until borates get down to 50?

All my other numbers are good.
FC 9 (little high)
CC 0
TA 160
CH 150 (vinyl liner)
CYA 40
PH was 7.5. After MA add should be 7.0
Now aerating.
Borates 80+ a little higher maybe.
I probably added 40 pounds Boric Acid 3 weeks ago.

Advise would be appreciated. I do not like adding so much MA each week.

Thanks

First off, don't freak out. Even at 80-100ppm, healthy adults and kids can swim in the water without concern. I would caution keeping dogs or other pets from drinking the water though. They will be more sensitive to the health effects.

You can reduce the levels present through back washing vigorously. Also, use any rains you might get for dilution by draining a little bit of water before it rains.

The biggest headache, as you are seeing, is that it is going to take A LOT more acid to lower pH. You can still reduce TA, it's just going to take more acid and a lot longer for the pH to rise between cycles. This is why TA should always be adjusted before borates are added.

At the end of the day, you've not damaged anything but your wallet. On the upside, you will have rock-solid pH and algae really won't like your pool water.

I'm sorry for your troubles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.