Newbie and worried!!

Apr 1, 2016
Canada
Hello everyone!! My husband and I just purchased our first home and are super excited about our pool in backyard! Now when we looked at the house in November the pool cover was already put on and pool was closed for season. We took a quick look under cover with my father in law who also has a pool and from what we could see it looked great! So signed the deal and closed in January with clause that pool was in working order! Well Wednesday we took the cover off and the pool looked a bit off barley any water was in pool considering all the rain we had this year and snow but we didn't think anything of it, what do we know we are so new, we'll the next day I go out and notice the liner is "bubbled" and "soft" almost looks like it's pulling away from the concrete, I'll post pictures so you can have a look of what I'm talking about. We also found two very big cracks in the skimmer 8 little patches and 2 big patches on the jets of the liner? From our understanding the liner was replaced in 2006 .

Picture taken of pool by previous owner
And picture of pool now.

In ground 12x32 3ft in shallow going down to 8ft in deep end.

Any insight or information would be great thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-18-16-59-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-18-16-59-19.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20160401_103222.jpg
    20160401_103222.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 20160401_103238.jpg
    20160401_103238.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_2015-10-23-21-39-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-23-21-39-53.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 106
The liner may be pulling-away simply because the water level has dropped so much. The trick now is to find out why it dropped. I suspect there is a tear somewhere allowing the water to escape. Generally, the water stops dropping at the point of escape, and if it's accessible, you should be able to use a vinyl repair kit to repair the tear. Now if you find that the liner is simply beyond repair, that's another story ...$$$$. You should be able to remove the return jet fittings and inspect there as well. Even the skimmer may be salvageable as I suspect the cracks are from years of cold weather freezing and thawing. Once you get a chance to look into these issues, post more pics or let us know specifically what you find. We may be able to help or guide you in the right direction.

And don't' forget to update your signature and state. :)

Oh, and you may want to get familiar with Photobucket. That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great. As a new member, if you're just inserting the image, you'll run-out of upload space quickly.

Good morning. Congrats on your new home. First and foremost, get your water level up to operating condition -- half way up the skimmer face -- so that you'll be be to tell a few things about operation, leaking etc.

With the water in place, you will first be able to see if the liner gets back into place. There may be a simple cheap fix here but don't let the liner sit without water or you WILL end up having to replace it.

You can then determine how quickly or slowly its leaking an what your next steps might be. Search the forum threads for "leak detection" to get good info on using dyes to diagnose.

In the mean time, get yourself a good test kit at TFTestkits.net, have a read through pool school to get the hang of TFP water care so that your water stays nice and clear while you get the liner and possible leak sorted out..you don't want another headache to deal with ;)

Hope that helps you get started. Post back and let us know what happens when you fill it back up.

This may not be the most cost effective but you "could" get a new liner... many people have found them installed for less than 3000 dollars... not saying you can not fix what you have but that is one of the nice things of a liner pool, you can pick what kind, color, of pool you want :)

Is Cobourg in Canada? if so the cost may be higher, how much I have no idea..

It may be to late but did you have a clause in the contract if the pool was damaged?

My husband called a pool inspector who showed be here shortly. The pool guy we spoke to thinks it's an issue with the liner and the skimmer :( just hoping it's not anything more like pipes in the ground? Just want this figured out before we open in may.

Also for my signature in the bottom how do I find out all the info needed about my pool?
Thanks again.

You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. That should help. :)

As you find the information (ask the ppol guy when he comes) just fill it out as you go :) pictures of the filter, pump, and other things will help also so we can tell you what you have :)

My husband called a pool inspector who showed be here shortly. The pool guy we spoke to thinks it's an issue with the liner and the skimmer :( just hoping it's not anything more like pipes in the ground? Just want this figured out before we open in may.

Also for my signature in the bottom how do I find out all the info needed about my pool?
Thanks again.

Pool inspector was out and from his first look the pool has lost alot of water since the pool should be almost full from the rain and snow we got this year. He also noticed the patch work was horriable and we also have a fee more tears in the liner. The skimmer is broken in two different spots as well. His recommendation would be to replace liner and skimmer and for size of people we have we where quoted 3500. He also pulled the liner away from the wall and noticed quite a bit of water.

The pictures I've attached are the pump and skimmer and full picture of pool

He wasn't to sure on gallons?

He also said the size is 12×24 but when my husband measured he measured it at 12x32?

Hope the pictures work first time using photobucket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
3500 for a new liner and install and fix the problems :)

I would check with you lender/realtor and see if half of that or all of it is covered.. If not, that is not a bad price at all for everything new and you can pick the color and design of your new pool :) and you will also get a liner garantee from the new install, cant beat that...

from you picture you have a Hayward S-210T DE filter, and a Pentair superflo pump, if you get a pic of that tag on the side of the pump we can tell you what it is...

I've spoken with our realtor and from our knowledge it was put in the clause that the pool was in working order.
Well looks like we are gonna replace the liner and skimmer!! Need this pool up and running come summer!!

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Please click SETTINGS upper right, then click EDIT PROFILE lower left scroll down a little to CITY, ST and add your state or country to your location. Climate is a very important consideration when we are helping you with pool care.

I am SO glad you are doing this so early! Now you will have it all set when it is swim time............fun times for all!

Casey has you covered with the pool equipment ID.

Now we need to work on liner size. How did hubby and pool guy get such different sizes? Need to check into that. Now look for an ID code on your liner........there MAY be a stamp on the backside of the liner that will be the code for the size and shape. That will save so time in figuring out the size needed for replacement.

Let us know of any other help we can offer. We LOVE to help!

Kim

Thx I'm kinda a wizard with learning new things except the whole pool thing hehehe. Hubby measured from top of pool from side to side and the pool inspector just estimated size. Where would I find the size on liner?

IF there is info on the liner it will be on the back side. I am not sure where but would think more towards the top of the liner. Maybe by the skimmer or step areas?? I hope someone else can chime in that knows more about it than I do :(

Kim

If you can't get it covered under the contract you may find you can get away with patching that one. I had a leak and my liner floated over the winter. The idea that the water level drops to the level of the leak isn't always the case as a high water table can impact where it stops.

In my case i filled it back up and while it was filling i did my best to smooth the liner back into place. Once it was full i had a diver come in and they can find literally every leak using a listening device. His statement to me was "this may not be worth chasing" since there were a couple of large holes and a ton of pinhole sized ones. I asked if he would give it a shot if i promised not to call him back if it continued leaking and my hope was the patches would slow the leak down to the point where i could get another season or two in without buying a liner.

It held water perfectly and i have two small creases on the floor and other than that i am in good shape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.