Sta-Rite pump

Apr 7, 2009
When I turn my pump off to empty the strainer basket small amounts of water shoots out around the oring from the back pressure before I unscrew the lid. The oring looks ok and I never lose prime or have any other problems with the pump.

Welcome to TFP!!

Lots of pumps do this and it isn't a problem as long as the gasket doesn't allow air into the pump while running 8)

Any chance of posting some pics of your pool and system - WE LOVE PICS :-D

Thanks for joining us here and for caring enough about your pool to come here :goodjob:

I dont think it is letting any air in. When it kicks on it starts right up and doesnt lose any prime. Just wanted to make sure just got the pool installed last fall 18x36 vinyl with slide and diving board. I have 7yo twins a boy and girl and they are water rats.

Yeah, I'd doubt you'd have an issue with the pump lid, but had to mention the possibility 8)

Enjoy the pool and your kids :thumleft: Before you realize it, you'll be worrying about... umm... 'interactions' with their peers (my daughter turns 12 in 3 weeks and I'm thinking she should be locked in a tower for the next 8 years :mrgreen: :grrrr: )

Many pumps are designed specifically to do this so you don't really want to prevent this from happening. The reason they do this is that when a pump is turned off, there is a lot of energy in the water movement that if contained could damage the impeller or other parts of the pump. The pump lid is designed to be negative pressure sealed and when the pump is turned off the positive pressure wave created by the water is dissipated through the lid.

This is usually an indication of a good suction design since water flow is high and head loss is low allowing the pressure wave to reach the pump. So in a way, this is a good sign although it may be a bit unnerving.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.