Should I be testing for metals

Jun 16, 2015
Burke VA
Hey guys, about to open my pool shortly here in Northern Virginia. I was curious if i should be testing for metals in the water after opening and balancing the chemicals, as far as i know i didn't have any issues with metals last summer (first year of pool). Also, any need to add any algecide or other chemicals to the water during opening. Last year all i used was CYA, bleach, baking soda, and sometimes borax. Thanks, and i look forward to being an active member on the forum this year again!

Re: Should i be testing for metals

If you have no reason to suspect metal, then no reason to test.

There is never a need for algaecide. What you need to add to open depends on your test results and how the water looks.

Re: Should i be testing for metals

Unless you're on a well or your municipal water supply has old rusty pipes, you probably don't have a metal problem.

If your pool looks clear and suddenly turns clear green when you add bleach, you have metals. Otherwise, don't sweat it. You likely would have seen colored blotches on the pool surface and green-haired kids last year if you have metals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.