How long does it take cartridge filter to clear up water upon opening?

Jun 25, 2014
We are opening our pool this week and the cartridge filter has been running 24/7 since Tuesday afternoon. The water is still a little cloudy. How long does it usually take to clear up? I feel like the past two years only took a couple of days. The water was especially green and dirty and smelly this year upon opening:(. I hired a company to do the opening for me so I haven't tested the water yet this year. I usually start testing after they open it and then I maintain it from then on. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Sounds like you have algae in your water from winter closing. It's time to perform a SLAM via the link below in my sig. To perform a SLAM you must have either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to test FC levels at a higher required level. Do you have your own test kit? If so, please post those numbers.

A "SLAM", using the proper ratio of bleach (FC) versus stabilizer (CYA) will be the prescription to make you water clear again. Filtration alone will not do it. Let us know if you have any questions. We'll be glad to help.

Also see: Pool School - Opening Your Winterized Above Ground Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Filters don't kill algae, chlorine kills algae and then the filter grabs it. Until you kill all the algae with enough chlorine it will just keep growing more and more. As TS says time for a SLAM to kill the algae. You will have to clean your filter quite a bit because algae clogs up filters fast last time I had some algae I had to clean the filter every day or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.