Pump Run Time

Aug 17, 2015
Fredericksburg, VA
Hey Everyone... Need a little help here...

I have a 14x28 rectangle pool w/ 4x8 steps (total about 15000 gal)

I have a Hayward 1HP Superpump (SP2607X10) and am getting a PSI of 14 at the filter...

I want to factor in the worst case so i backwash at 20psi...

Am i right in saying 20psi = 47 feet of head? Ifso at 20psi the pump would be putting out a little more then 40gpm based on the following chart?

SuperPump-Specs.jpg

IF thats right and i have a 15000 pool I should be able to run 6.25 hrs and filter all 15000 gallons...

I plan on filtering the whole pool twoce in 24 hrs so i would he running 12.5 hrs a day...

Is my math correct with the PSI to FEET OF HEAD?

I just wanna try to save a few bucks on the electric bill... I know a good practice is turn it on and let it run 24/7...

Really that is not what we recommend (24/7) and what it boils down to is how "clean" looking you would like your water :)

Check this page out but we recommend starting at 4 hours with 1 speed and 8 hours with 2 speed and go from there

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

I hope this helps

Agree with Casey. Pool turnover is not meaningful in residential pools. All that is needed is to run long enough to get the pool clean. Usually 2-4 hours is good unless you have lots of trees. Many people split the run time to morning and evening for more effective skimming. 1-2 hours am and 1-2 hours pm. It is not a good practice to run 24x7 unless your pool gets debris in it like mine does because we have lots of trees.

We also recommend backwashing/cleaning your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure.

Agree with the others.

I will just point out that determining head loss is not as simple as reading a chart. It is a fairly involved calculation that takes all of your pool's setup.

Luckily there is really no reason to need to know the head loss.

Agree with Casey. Pool turnover is not meaningful in residential pools. All that is needed is to run long enough to get the pool clean. Usually 2-4 hours is good unless you have lots of trees. Many people split the run time to morning and evening for more effective skimming. 1-2 hours am and 1-2 hours pm. It is not a good practice to run 24x7 unless your pool gets debris in it like mine does because we have lots of trees.

We also recommend backwashing/cleaning your filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure.

Will that time allow for a Salt Generator to produce enough chlorine

Will that time allow for a Salt Generator to produce enough chlorine
That depends on the chlorine demand and the size of the cell.

If your kids have a bunch of friends and the pool is in constant use by dozens of people, you will obviously have higher FC consumption than a pool that two adults soak in for an hour after work. Which SWG do you have? It's easy enough to determine ppm per day if you know the maximum output of the cell, which will let you figure out hours to FC.

As far as a turnover, that doesn't work unless you're pumping and filtering the water from one pool to another so 100% of it goes through the filter. What happens is a continuous filtering and dilution, such that if 25% of the pool's volume has been filtered, in reality maybe only actually 20% of the water has been filtered. The other 5% got filtered again and again. Don't quote me on those figures, I'm just using them as a for-example.

Three hours a day is plenty for me, maybe even too long. The surface trash usually disappears within twenty minutes.

Start yourself at 6 hours per day for a week or so. If the water stays nice, drop to 5 and raise the SWG % to compensate. After a week if it still looks good, reduce it to 4. Just keep lowering pump run time and raise SWG% to compensate and you'll save a bunch of money on the electric bill. (3 hrs running at 60% generates the same FC as 6 hours at 30% or 9 hours at 20% and so on)

I have a Hayward T9 Salt Cell.

I currently have it set at 50% running 24/7 for startup...

I am going to be lowering the time on my timer to be on:
8a-10:30a, 2:30p-5p, 11:30p-1:30a

Any recommendations on Salt Cell Percentage Setting?

Sorry for my ignorance if these are stupid questions. This is my first full season with a pool....

No stupid questions here :) you will need to set that schedule and test your FC to see if it is meeting your CYA/FC level. Every pool and setup is different so each will be setup different..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A little googling seems to indicate a T9 can output .9 lbs of Chlorine gas. 14 ounces.
Effects of Adding Chemicals at the bottom of poolmath says 14 oz of gas in 15000 gallons of water is 7 FC.

So... 7/24 is .3 FC/hour at 100%. 7 hours run time per day at 100% would make 2.1 FC, which is a reasonable amount of FC loss. So start at 100% and if FC keeps climbing, turn it down a little until it never dips below minimum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THANKS Richard!

Will give it a shot.

Gonna have to get me one of those expensive test kits. I'm using AquaChek 7 way strips at the moment because i have 3 bottles of them amd would hate to waste them.
Test strips?

You might as well just swish it around in your mouth and taste for chlorine.
gargle-woman.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.