pool volume question

Mar 2, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I drained and acid washed my pebble sheen salt water pool this past weekend. I was told that it was approximately 15k gallons. It is a free form play pool but the actual dimensions are slightly larger than the plans show (about 2' longer and 6" deeper). It is about 37' long with 3.5 /5.5 /4.5 depths and average about 14' wide with a Baja shelf and step.

I added 8 bags of salt yesterday (was using liquid chlorine for a few days prior) and measured 400 ppm before adding the salt. I tested with 3 different methods this morning- my salt kit (2000 ppm), a test strip about (2000 ppm) and my T-cell 15 (2100 ppm). The pool math calculator states I would have added 213 pounds of salt to get to this level, not the 320 pounds I actually added.

If I keep adding salt to get to 3,200 ppm, I would have added enough salt for a 17k pool. Is this an accurate way to determine the actual volume of my pool going forward or am I missing something? Thanks.

Well, given that all those testing methods are +/- 200ppm, there is a chance they are all erring on the same side. But, that might be a decent estimate.

Just try using 17k in PoolMath and see if that helps consistently hit your targets.

Go with what your T-cell says. Keep your cell happy so that it will run.

I would brush the entire pool again and give it another day, then see where your cell and testing is at, unless you have brushed several times already and have been circulating 24/7 since adding. Better to have too little than to have added too much. Keep creeping up on it and like Jason says, assume 17K based on your results so far for future additions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.